Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm gonna be buying a summit aluminum radiator soon. the stock radiator just won't cut it, and it's not even above 40 degrees here yet. so question is....with the summit rad. i read that it doesn't come with provisions for mounting an overflow and that it needs some fitting for the hose. can someone tell me what i'll need to do to make it work....or is there another radiator of comparable quality/price that will not need any modifications to make them work. thnx.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Unless you're getting it VERY cheap, I wouldn't recommend you buying it from summitt. Nothing against their radiator....BUT :::

You can go to either AutoZone/Advance Auto, purchase a radiator for a 87 Thunderbird-turbo coupe. It is a brass unit so it will weigh a bit more, but for the price difference, I think you can't beat 'em. Espacally since they offer a lifetime guarantee!

Oh yeah....it IS a 3 core!

Hope this helps AND saves you a lil' cash!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
What do you mean by cheap? The Summit is a very good piece. A lot of people have purchased the Summit (and Griffin) recently. For 170 it is much larger than stock unit. Two 1" rows. Why get a thunderbird radiator when you can get a 3 row mustang unit from autozone.

The modifications are minor. I have the Griffin but from the posts, both install the same. The stock shroud will fit. If you do not have it you can buy a overflow can.

Modifications for Griffin:

- Hammer in raised metal around small hole on radiator support on drivers side.

- Bend out lower supports a little. The rubber was no problem to leave in.

- Turn lower hose around. The end that is on the pump is a little larger. You may have to cut it a little shorter.

- Bend AC lines out a little. I have a zip tie holding the AC lines out a little and I added a rubber pad between the lines and the radiator.

- I replaced the upper hold downs with a one piece hold down or bend the stockers and trim the rubber.

- Drill holes for fan shroud. I used #6 stainless nuts bolts and washers

- The hose connections at the water pump (with the hose turned around) and the upper radiator are a bit tight but with WD-40 and wriggling will get them on. Iw was time to change the hoses any way so I got new Goodyear hoses.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
the summit 31*19 cools my car great. had to modify a little to make it fit but ...it fit..lol.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
neil: thnx for the info. how about the fitting for attaching the overflow hose? or does the griffin come with it already?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yes the Griffin has the nipple for the overflow hose.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Don't waste your money on a brass radiator. The 2 row aluminum radiator is suppose to cool as good as a 5 row brass radiator. I have the Ford Motorsport 3 row brass radiator and will be changing it to a 2 row aluminum this summer. About the best prices I have found is the Griffin radiator, $120 cheaper than the Summit radiator.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My friend runs the Griffin aluminum 2 core with a black magic fan on his built 429 and it keeps it a rock solid 160 degrees. My 3 core FMS struggles to keep my blown 302 at 200 degrees and my fan puts out more cfm than his.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i have the 31-19 griffin also.179.00 from summit and all i did was buy an aftermarket aluminum hold down.it works great.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have the Summit aluminum (27" wide) and it dropped right in. I just put in a 1/8" brass fitting for the overflow and used my stock cap, voila. The thing works awesome in conjunction with the Mark VIII fan.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I also have the Summit 31x19 Radiator and I've LOVED it so far!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Run an overflow tube or mount the tank? There is a nipple to run the tube. The stock tank will fit on the 31" along with the stock shroud. It will not fit on the 27" as picured above. I also tried but got a 31". I think he must have been referring to 120 cheaper than the Griffin Mustang specific unit. 31x19 Summit is 179.00 and the Griffin is 189.00

1 - 13 of 13 Posts