Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 V6 'Stang, with bare-minimum options. Manual transmission. I've got a few questions regarding what is (and isn't) available for my car.

1.) The pedals. Having the clutch pedal way up high, the gas pedal way down low, and the brake somewhere in-between sort of makes for an awkward drive for me. Is there any way to set the car up with equal-length pedals?

2.) What suspension/handling mods are most recommended? Specifically, what would most improve the rigidity of the car and make it feel more "planted" going into corners? Panhard bars? Tower bracing? Subframe connectors?

3.) Engine mods. Where to start? What kind of gains would a chip be likely to provide? How restrictive is the stock single exhaust, do these cars noticeably benefit from headers or true duals?

Just looking for ideas. The car is quick (not super-fast, but better than the 3.8L Thunderbird I had before) and I'm wondering what I can do to further improve the experience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Exhaust seemed to help, but with the horsepower of the V6, any bolt on mod won't be too considerably different. The sound is great if you go true-dual.

I haven't toyed with a chip, but I would strongly suggest a local place to burn you a custom one, even then - you should only really buy one if you have extensively modified your car, they will adjust it to run with your new settings.

Springs seem to make the ride more sporty, everyone suggests Ford C-springs (i think??) I rode in a 2001 Cobra, and the difference truely is amazing. Going over railroads in that car was hell. Subframe connectors are suggested as well, they might be more for drag racing though, I don't know the scoop on those.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1.) The pedals. Having the clutch pedal way up high, the gas pedal way down low, and the brake somewhere in-between sort of makes for an awkward drive for me. Is there any way to set the car up with equal-length pedals?

That is a V6 trait its due i belive in part to the tad to long cltuch cable we have, all you can really do is order a firewall adjuster from steeda (i got that and a quadrent i will sell you brand new never used for under their price if interested) Mine is high i would use them myself but I am having warranty issues cuz my cltuch is messed up they just now fixed it so i am not putting the quad and adjuster on for now.

2.) What suspension/handling mods are most recommended? Specifically, what would most improve the rigidity of the car and make it feel more "planted" going into corners? Panhard bars? Tower bracing? Subframe connectors?

The best mod for cornering and all around traction is a set of lower control arms (check out maximum motorsports or what not for a set) also a TLOK rear is nice, rear sway, Strut brace, and lowering springs are the cheaper other items to look into.

3.) Engine mods. Where to start? What kind of gains would a chip be likely to provide? How restrictive is the stock single exhaust, do these cars noticeably benefit from headers or true duals?

Do the chip last since it is set to run with the mods you have i would start with exhaust (sound and more hp 2 for one) then go with an underdrive pulley from ASP, next a CAI from whom ever you choose. After that gears and tlok unit are great for the car, short shifter is a must (probably get it before or with exhasut its a nice item) After that you start getting into the expensive catagory and all that by then you will have enough info to decide on where to go next.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'd probably start the suspension stuff with some lowering springs. Probably the Ford C-springs or something similar. I was unable to find an STB for my car when I searched earlier, but apparently Steeda makes one.

Where can I find a Traction-Lok rear assembly? Does anybody sell take-offs at a reasonable price?

If I were to do the exhaust, is it worthwhile (or even possible) to do true duals? The common "Y" that a lot of V6 people do with dual exhaust seems sort of a waste--it's still one pipe going through the catalyst, so is there any advantage over even just a large single pipe?

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
dont buy used gears and tlok units, I did mine broke and i wound up being out more money than i would have if i had got them new to begin with, just get new parts and be done with it.

and you can get a STB from a wrecked gt at a junk yard save your self the money they dotn help very much if any, i would get a rear sway from a junk yard also

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TCRIMSONK said:
The pedals are easy to fix, and cheap. you can raise the gas pedal. I did mine, and am very glad that I did.
Excellent! That's my biggest compaint about driving the car. The clutch is up fairly high, and I'm used to that, but the gas pedal sits so low that it's kind of awkward to lift off it and hit the brake. I know what I'm doing next time I get to a hardware store. :D

Just for the heck of it, I may start cruising the local junkyards, too. I live in a college town, and there are tons of Mustangs and lots of bad drivers around here. That should equate to a fair amount of "parting-out".

·
Registered
549 Posts
Really, you dont even need to go to a hardware store. Instead of a 'nylon spacer' I just used a peice of a Bic ink pen. I took the plastic tube housing part of the pen, cut a peice off, about an inch long, then cut one slit down the legnth of it. this allows you to fit the cable through the slit.

Then I used some plastic wire/zip ties to hold it all together (instead of hose clamps) It was easy, and has held up just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
lemming , the place for C springs or a complete bullit package (spring, shocks, struts), T-loks and gears is GEF Racing . You should also look at Ford Parts Network .

I agree with the guys a chip is the very last thing to, starting with the suspension is wise as you will be setting thing up to handle more HP. First crack out of the box though should be duals, might as well get her sounding good while you do all the other stuff. Speaking of the stuff I didn't see mentioned a set of Flex's phenolic spacers, these not only insulate the upper intake from the heat comming up through the lower but they also help you recover some of that lost torque due to the duals, mine are on the way.
:joy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. The prices at the two places you linked to are surprisingly good and lower than I expected (for the springs and T-Lok unit, at least). At least now I know where to get the parts that will keep me from spinning one wheel all the time :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts