Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
I assume you mean MIG or flux core (or stick) ?
Either way it will work. MIG will give you a cleaner bead, but a good stick or wire feed flux core will be fine.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm an idiot when it comes to welding types, I just recall reading where you must exercise good judgement when welding due to the fact the frame rails and floor pan are sensitive to extreme heat. Made me think you had to use the "cooler" of the two welding types? *shrug* Inform me please?

·
Registered
565 Posts
neither type is significantly "cooler" - to fuse metal you are heating to 1300 degrees or so.

you do have to be carefull when you weld under a car, you dont want to heat up an area which results in the carpet catching on fire, etc... If you havent welded before subframes is not the place to start. I've only been welding for a couple weeks myself, and I think I'm just ready to try subs... but I would be very precautious and probably pull back the carpet.

In terms of welders... there are two types of "wire feed" welders.

MIG (metal inert gas) means that the weld is sheilded with gas, usually CO2 / Argon mix. Sheilding means that when the electrode is arcing the gas is providing a barrier from the impurities in the air, since they will react with the weld metal and create a poor weld.

A "flux core" welder looks the same as a MIG, but rather than using a cylinder of gas to shield the weld, the welding wire itself has a hollow core filled with a chemical that, when heated, reacts to produce the same type of gas sheielding. This also offers a barrier against the air during a weld, but its not as large.

Flux core welders are cheaper and easier for the recreational hobbyist to get started with. Only downside is the welds are not as nice, and you cannot weld thin (18 guage or less)

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ain't no way I'm doing this sh*t myself.. I know my limits.. I had a hard enough time in kindergarten with paste and cottonballs, I'm not going to screw up my baby!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.