Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking into getting a set of subframe connectors. After searching through a lot of posts and looking at the different manufacture websites I'm still just as undecided as I was when I started. The M/M full lengths or the Steeda full lengths seem to be the favorite here but I've also been looking at both the KB extreme matrix and the Hans racecraft pieces. These both seem to me like they would be much stiffer than either the MM or the steeda due to the triangulation and second rail but at the same time look crazy heavy (read the KB comes in 27lbs). And they're about $300 more. Also toying with the idea of taking the aspects of each I like and just making my own set as I have access to a welder and some friends that are good with one. Lemme know what you guys think, any advice is appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i personally plan to build a setup like the KB matrix using MM full lengths and some steel... this will also allow me to a dzus fasteners and mount a flat underbelly panel while adding downforce and reducing drag

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I've been looking into getting a set of subframe connectors. After searching through a lot of posts and looking at the different manufacture websites I'm still just as undecided as I was when I started. The M/M full lengths or the Steeda full lengths seem to be the favorite here but I've also been looking at both the KB extreme matrix and the Hans racecraft pieces. These both seem to me like they would be much stiffer than either the MM or the steeda due to the triangulation and second rail but at the same time look crazy heavy (read the KB comes in 27lbs). And they're about $300 more. Also toying with the idea of taking the aspects of each I like and just making my own set as I have access to a welder and some friends that are good with one. Lemme know what you guys think, any advice is appreciated!!
Have you checked out Global West?!?! :cool:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know a guy here in Northern Illinois (Dekalb, IL) that makes his own subframe connectors and they are way better than MM Connectors... his prices are reasonable too...

his name is Joe, his companies name is CRE, his number is 815-748-7631

·
Registered
228 Posts
+1 for CRE Joe, 'scca stang' are you on chicagolandmustang?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Subframe connectors are such simple pueces of hardware, it's hard to go wrong regardless of what you get. Just make sure the things are big and stiff (conduit isn't going to work, obviously,) and not excessively heavy. Round or rectangular doesn't matter much, BUT if you plan on running something liek a torque arm that will attach to it, it's best to pick a design that is compatible with the equipment that will attach to it. For example, if you are thinking of running a Maximum Motorsports TA, then Maximum Motorsports subframes would be a good idea.

I'm not a big fan of the big, elaborate subframes that extend out to the rocker sills. The extra tubing doesn't do all that much for stiffness and it adds weight. They're also more expensive.

If you REALLY want to stiffen the car, install through-the-floor subframes along with external subframes. This forms a box-structure and is VERY stiff. I did this on my AI race car on Bruce Griggs recommendation.

Lastly, make sure the subframe is WELDED in, Bolting does no good at all since the joint can still move.

Other than that, get what's cheap, stiff, and welded in. (FWIW, my subframes are ancient generic pieces form Dallas Mustang Parts -- nothing special.)

·
Registered
462 Posts
+1 for CRE Joe, 'scca stang' are you on chicagolandmustang?
No, I am on Chicagomustangclub.com and chicagosvt.com, Joe and I talk all the time and he keeps telling me to check out chicagoland... I think I might do it here in a min or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts