Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to drain the oil before removing the valve covers? I've never done it and have never heard either way about it and I don't want any surprises. :eek:

Also, could anyone tell me a way of removing this encircled bolt? I can't get any socket between that black metal piece and the cover itself.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
No, you don't have to drain the oil.

I don't recognize the line you took a picture of. I might have removed it. Sorry.

Greg

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think that black metal thing is a lift bracket that Ford uses to install the motor. I pulled mine when I installed headers 10 odd years ago. My guess is you may have to remove it.

The biggest surprise when folks pull the valve covers happens after re-installation. The stock valve cover gasket has little metal discs embedded in the gasket. They are used to insure that the gasket does not get crushed. This little disks have a habit of finding their way into the oil pan, locking up the oil pump and shearing the oil pump shaft. You can imagine what happens from there. Make sure that all the disks are accounted for!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That line mentioned above isn't of any concern to me, it's that bolt that's inside the circle along w/that engine lift bracket. As said, it looks like I will have to remove it to get at that darn bolt.

Also, thanks for the heads up on those little circle spacers, that's going to come in handy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts