Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this is probably a stupid question, but i was looking through a mag and saw gears for a 8.8 and a 7.5 rearend. i asummed that a mustang had a 8.8 but it say mustang for 8.8 and 7.5.so, how do you find out what you have. i have just started learning about performace, so as always, thanks for the help

·
Registered
552 Posts
To go into a little more depth, Ford basically uses three variants on it's solid axle rear end. Solid axle just means that the peice that connects your two back tires is a single rigid assembly, i.e. it can't bend in the middle. Light duty applications use the 7.5" rear end. This includes small trucks, vans, SUVs and even the V6 Mustang. Medium to heavy duty uses the 8.8" rear. Heavy trucks and vans as well as luxry cars and the V8 Mustangs use this rear. The 9" is used in extreme environments, a lot of power and/or a lot of weight. Many extreme duty trucks use this as well as a lot of high horsepower dragsters. In fact Ford's 9" is somewhat of a standard in the performance industry. It is not uncommon to see Ford 9" rears on Chevy or Dodge dragsters.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright, cool. thanks for the info

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nope, 8.8 for the Lightnings also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts