Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hopefully picking up an 82 Mustang next week that has a 351 in it. The guy says it's a 77 engine, I dunno it it really is or not. I'm not particularly mechanically adept (in fact, I'm practically handicapped) but how can I tell if it's a Windsor or not? Thanks for your time/patience.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, but that doesn't really help for me opening the hood and looking at the engine. :( Any other ideas?

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is kinda tough when you can't like dissect the engine, check casting number, and especially if you don't know much about the engines ;)

I'd say just quiz him on a few things he should know in doing a 351 swap. Ask him the imbalance of the crank balancer (should be 28oz.). Maybe ask him if he just reused his old 5.0 intake or not (the 351 should be wider). See if he got a new distributor, headers, oil pan...all of this really needs to be done.

I hate doing that to people (quizing is kind of condescending), but sometimes its the only way to find out if they're telling you the truth. BTW, did he do the swap, or did he buy the car that way? If it isn't a 351, he could have just been told that it was??

I dunno, ask him about the stuff that NEEDS to be changed to run a 351 and see if he did it. If he didn't do that stuff, its probably not a 351. Good luck bro...

OH OH OH!! Could you bring a friend who knows about SBF's with you to check it out?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Croaker said:
I'm hopefully picking up an 82 Mustang next week that has a 351 in it. The guy says it's a 77 engine, I dunno it it really is or not. I'm not particularly mechanically adept (in fact, I'm practically handicapped) but how can I tell if it's a Windsor or not? Thanks for your time/patience.
Hey, thats not a stupid question... I was expecting you to ask where you could aquire some colored windshield wipers... :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Re: Stupid question....

ShadowStang50 said:

Hey, thats not a stupid question... I was expecting you to ask where you could aquire some colored windshield wipers... :D
:eek:

That's a good point!!!!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I thought he was going to ask what the number to 911 was...:evil:

ask him how many liters a 351 is...lol...hell say somthin dumb like 5.7 :D

(isnt it like a 5.752L or somthin?

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
It's hard to tell a 351W from a 302, but you can check the firing order- 1-3-7-2--6-5-4-8 Look at the plug wires. The Driver's side is 1234 and passenger is 5678 front to rear on both. If the firing order is 1-5-4-6-3-7-8 it's an older 302. 1982 is the year that they changed the firing order of the 302 to the first one I listed so a stock 1982 302 would be the same as a 77 351.

Look at the headers and see if they are really close to the steering shaft-like almost rubbing it. 351s have a taller deck height, therefore the exhaust sits a little wider. This is the same reason stated above about needing a specific intake manifold. The 351 will look a little wider than a 302, and sound meaner.

If he's done something real odd then he put a 351M in it. then it will have wide valve covers, and the water neck will be in the block and not the intake manifold. He will also have had to change the transmission, as these engines have the 429/460 bellhousing pattern. I doubt this is the case but if it is the engine will look absolutely huge for a 351.

·
Registered
453 Posts
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...;-)

I quiz people who are selling things all the time. I like to ask questions that I know the answer to to see how honest they are. I like the idea of asking about the intake and balancer.

Not to be patronizing, but this may simplify the firing order issue a bit. There is a "1" on the distributor cap that indicates cylinder 1. If it is the older one, then the wires on either side (at the distributor) will both go to the driver's side (specifically, 8 and 5). If it is a newer one, then one will go to the driver's side and one will go to the passenger side (3 and 8). Think "Same, old -- new, different" If this doesn't sound less confusing, then please ignore this altogether and call me a stupid person.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This may sound funny but. look at the water neck coming out of the manifold. If it's a 302, the bottom bolt of the water neck on the right, will be behind the back of the timing cover where the top of the water pump is and would be impossible to get to with a socket and extension, if it's a 351 the water neck will be higher up about 1 1/2 inches above the top of the timing cover and can be taken uot with a socket and extention.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
885 Posts
go to a JY or wherever and look at a 302. The 351W has more space bween the front cover and the head. I dont know about 82 but the earlier 302s had a 28oz imbalance too.
AJMcCurdy said:
If he's done something real odd then he put a 351M in it. then it will have wide valve covers, and the water neck will be in the block and not the intake manifold. He will also have had to change the transmission, as these engines have the 429/460 bellhousing pattern. I doubt this is the case but if it is the engine will look absolutely huge for a 351.
I think the 351Ms used BB motor mounts too, but im not sure. Also, the 351C/M/400s used 8 bolts on the valvecovers. It is highly unlikely it is a 351C/M because ford never made a pan that i know of that will fit a C/M in a fox body, youve got to use a 4WD pan, cut the center out, weld it up, ect. If its a 351C, it will have the windosr bellhousing pattern, and 5.0 motor mounts will bolt to it, but i cant tell a C from an M with it in the car. It will look huge for a 351 though...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I always thought that the difference between 351W and 351C were the spark plug sizes. I was told that the size of the 351W spark plug was 5/8" (socket used to get it out) while 351C were 13/16" size. I don't know if it's true but that's what I was told a long time ago.

Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thanks for your help guys, I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I talked to him tonight and he's telling me it's a 351 Cleveland bored out to 400 cubes. I haven't looked at it for anything you guys mentioned yet, but when I do I'll probably snap a couple of quick pictures with the digital camera and post them up here.

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
OK quiz the guy again. Is he sure it's a 77 351? I don't think there was a 351C in 77. It died in 74. It is very easy to take a Cleveland or a 351M and make it a 400- just change out the crank rods and pistons to ones from a 400M and do a little boring and voila, 400.

Look at the motor mounts to see if they are different, and ask the guy if he had to change the bellhousing and motor mounts. I'm guessing it's a 351M. The 351M and 400M were smog motors that didn't make more than 150 hp in stock form. They have potential, but you have to invest a little money in headers, a good carb and intake, a cam, and some time in head port work.

Like i said above, The main thing is to look at the water neck- It should be coming out of the block not the intake manifold, and see if it looks really big for a 351.

·
Registered
885 Posts
you dont need to bore the 351M to make a 400 IIRC, its just the crank.

edit: Opps:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AJMcCurdy said:
It's hard to tell a 351W from a 302, but you can check the firing order- 1-3-7-2--6-5-4-8 Look at the plug wires. The Driver's side is 1234 and passenger is 5678 front to rear on both. If the firing order is 1-5-4-6-3-7-8 it's an older 302. 1982 is the year that they changed the firing order of the 302 to the first one I listed so a stock 1982 302 would be the same as a 77 351.

Look at the headers and see if they are really close to the steering shaft-like almost rubbing it. 351s have a taller deck height, therefore the exhaust sits a little wider. This is the same reason stated above about needing a specific intake manifold. The 351 will look a little wider than a 302, and sound meaner.

Finally bought the car, and as far as I've been able to figure out, it's a 351M. The tranny IS swapped out, which has opened up a whole new slew of problems (neutral safety switch, reverse lights, no reverse lockout [That's gonna be a fun one when I go to hit third and miss! :eek:], the shift indicator is out of sync, etc.) tha tI have no idea how to fix. :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
sorry for jumping in late, but I just read this thread. I'd love to see some pic of the 351M in that car. I have one laying around and I was planing on putting it in my 86, but determined it would be more financially bennificial to do a 351W. Their's a lot you got to do to get it in...

·
Registered
47 Posts
i know a lot of guys will not agree but.......... junk the 351/400m motor they are great truck motors with lots of low end torque. but no speed or fast rev. the windsor motor is better for speed by far! sorry just MHO! i junked a good running 400m/c6 in my 73 ranchero for a 89 5.0 ho/aod combo! best thing i could have done with it! also swaped out 3.00 gears for a 3.50 posi thinking about 3.75s! went from 9 or10mph to 22 plus all kinds of power!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.