Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you still mount stock wheels when you put studs in the axles or are they way to long.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm guessing you're referring to 3" studs. You can still use the factory rims, only thing is the studs will stick out farther. Plus you'll need open end lugs nuts since the factory lugs won't come close to seating. When I put the factory rims back on the studs stick out about 3/4" past the face of the wheel. Doesn't bother me any, function over form. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reason i ask is because i would want the extra strength of studs but be able to mount decent looking rims for the street. can't really drive around on et streets everywhere. i really hate the look of stock mustang wheels with the center caps off. i know you have to use open lugs. but was really curious as to how far they stick out past the rim, thanks for answering that question. i guess i'll have to buy some non-cap rims.
is it that bad to run the stock studs with say et streets? i would figure a full slick would snap them right off on a good launch but et streets?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
ET Streets can and will shear stock studs right off the axle. Been there, broke that!

Get either Moroso or ARP 3" hardened racing studs. They are great and don't look bad on regular rims.

good luck,
joe

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ditto what Joe said. ET Streets are very close to a slick so whatever a slick will break, the Streets will pretty much do the same.
What caps are you referring too? On my 99 there are just holes no cover cap. If you want to, you can use the open end acorn style lugs to fasten the stock rims then put the factory lug nuts over the protruding studs when you run the stock rims. Joe Lynch suggested that a while back. To me though, it's too much work. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've seen people talk about which size to get, but how much and where to get them? website preferred.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i found some at moser engineering. 20 bucks! not to bad. do you need to pull the axles out to install or can the axles still be in the rear end?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the caps, i was referring to the stock 96 cobra rims. i still have them and have not been like everyone else who runs out and gets 95 cobra r's.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Some you can, some you can't! Let me try to explain a little bit...

The exciter rings on the rear axles most of the time, will prohibit you from getting the long studs into the holes. Some people say you can just shave one half of the stud head to get it into place, but that to me defeats the purpose of strengthening the studs.

The best way is to remove the axles, and adjusting things so that you can press them in properly.

Also, one other thing to make sure of is ... Moser, Superior and Strange all use different knurling patterns on their studs. Moser and Strange I believe use a .615 knurl, and the Superiors use a .625 knurl. If you get the wrong size you are fubar'd. Yes, you can grind the .615 hole to fit the .625 studs, but not the other way around. And the front stock hubs are .584 knurl, so you will have to find them or something close and grind away with a dremel.

I used ARP studs all the way around, and they cost me $9.95 per pack of 5 studs. Well worth the price of safety. IMO.

good luck, lemme know if you need any help.
joe

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes you can run 3 inch studs with Stock rims and wheels. I run my stock 98 Wheels with there caps on, just go to Pepgirlz and get you 2 spacers for each side. Ive run these on my car for 3 yrs and never had a problem. After changing the wheels each time make sure and retightn wheels after about 50 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts