Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock '90 302 motor i swapped into my '92 convertible over the summer. Motor has around 80k miles and wasn't really run for 2 years before I swapped it into my car. When I first started driving it, one of the lifters got stuck in the first 500 or so miles so I threw a bottle of some lifter cleaner (guaranteed to work in 5 minutes) and it actually worked. Car has been fine for around 6k miles and now seems like it has more serious problems.

Seems like another lifter (or more) are stuck. I tried lifter cleaner and then tried Gunk motorflush and clean oil and neither worked. It's only idling on around 6 cyl. (pulled off wires on cyl 2 & 3 and no change in RPM) If I rev it quick or accelerate under a load I can hear pretty bad valve noise knocking from under that valve cover and a huge loss of power. Under slow acceleration or steady RPM it's much smoother (guessing that the lifters are able to pump up).

I don't really have time right now to pull this thing apart because of school and work and if something else might work, i'll try it.

Anyone have any other ideas to get them unstuck? or think it's more than a lifter? ???????????

(of course this couldn't happen 10 months from now when i'm done w/ school and out to get an '03 cobra and take this thing off the road to restore it.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like collapsed lifters. You are going to need to replace them. that is the best way to fix your problem.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
sounds to me like it is definately time to replace those lifters. each one is going to start giving out now. better to just replace them and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
try this:
4 1/2 quarts of quality oil(mobil,havoline,and etc.)
1/2 quart of transmission fluid.
you have hyd. lifters that maybe starving for oil.tranny fluid is thinner and will get into the lifters.may pump them up.
if this don't work.time to change lifters.
also check the camshaft for flat spots from sitting.or the valve springs are soft,bent pushrods?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Agreed. Time to replace the lifters. You can do this one of 2 ways. #1 Pick up a new mustang mag and find the cheapest price on lifters you can. Then call Summit and make them price match. That way you're not paying $45 for shipping like some companys will do. Or #2 hit a local junkard and find a good EFI 5.0 motor for replacent lifters. Check the price on your way in, if they are too much $ put half in your pockets and pay for only half. 5.0 motors in mustangs disappear like they are gold in junkyards, so head straight for the mid-size and full size FORD section looking for LSCs, crown vics, Mark xx, and even vans or F-150s.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
What's your oil pressure like? That could be your problem right there. Also don't rely on the stock gauge, they are notoriously unreliable.

If you have good oil pressure do the oil/tranny fluid trick. I've heard the mix stated as 4 quarts of oil and one of tranny.

Before you rip your engine apart, check the basics, like are you getting spark to all cylinders, plugs fouled, etc.

If you do go for junkyard lifters, which I wouldn't, don't steal them. Thats just lame. People that do stuff like that are the reasons many yards won't let you in anymore. Otherwise slo5oh has some good advice, particularly with the summit price-matching idea. That would be the route I would go.

·
Registered
355 Posts
roller lifters

bobg...if you decided you do need new lifters let me know.
I have some New sets I can part with if needed.

Email me for more info: [email protected]

JT

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
yeah I was thinking of telling him the oil and tranny fluid trick. I even had it typed out but then erased it. He had a problem with other lifters before. If the oil and tranny fluid doesn't work, and I woldn't leave the tranny fluid in there forever either, and you have checked the obvious like frankie said I would just put a new set in. I would not get a junk yard set or you will just be replacing them again any way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. I'll prob try the tranny fluid and if that doesn't work buy some new lifters. I have a set in my garage w/ around 60k on them but i really don't feel like changing them twice so i'll prob buy new. just have to find the time..........and having it 30 degrees every day here in NJ (and no garage) doesn't help my motivation.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
i got my lifters from JT racing and just put em in on monday, the motor is much quieter now :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts