Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not get the top nut off the strut for anything. Ive tried with my impact wrench and I also put a 9mm open/closed end in the slot, double wrenched it from both sides and then tried turning the nut. Plus i was also spraying the nut with 3 in 1. No dice.

How in the world am i suppose to get this nut off. Ive got one new strut in and the driver side wont budge. Just spins the whole assembly.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Since you're gonna throw it away anyhow I would try a pipe wrench or large vice grips around the shaft.

·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Maximum motorsports castar camber plates and they have those spacers, I tried to clamp down on the spacers with a pair of good vice grips and it just spun inside of the VGs. I know the spacers would get slack as soon as the nut broke loose but i cant even get the nut started. I think the guy i had put on me MM c/c plates used his gun and just stayed on in too long.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have Maximum motorsports castar camber plates and they have those spacers, I tried to clamp down on the spacers with a pair of good vice grips and it just spun inside of the VGs. I know the spacers would get slack as soon as the nut broke loose but i cant even get the nut started. I think the guy i had put on me MM c/c plates used his gun and just stayed on in too long.
You can't grab those spacers and expect to hold the strut shaft itself since they're not attached to the shaft. Reach in underneath the fender and grab the shaft TIGHT with the vice grips just above the strut body the impact the nut off.

·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't grab those spacers and expect to hold the strut shaft itself since they're not attached to the shaft. Reach in underneath the fender and grab the shaft TIGHT with the vice grips just above the strut body the impact the nut off.

Well then i dont know if i accurately explained it in the previous post. I well know that as soon as the nut breaks loose that my vice grips on the spacers are going to do nothing. But as it stands they spin together because the nut is on there so tight. As soon as i can get it free i think ill be good. I took a brush wheel on my angle grinder and knocked off the surface rust on the threads.
And i dont want to grip the threads above the nut because if it does break free then i have to try and move the nut over tore up threads. And that would be like getting out of a hole just to fall in another.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Bigger impact. I just did my struts yesterday. I first tried my little snap-on, no luck, it just spun the shaft. Got out the IR thunder gun and zipped them right off.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
you could try cutting the nut off w/ grinder or sawzall.
Also, are you trying to take this off w/ the bottom of the strut disconnected?
If so it might help to bolt it back on the spindle and let the suspension hang or jack it up.

·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I wish i had a better gun. As it stands i only have a 19.2v 1/2" cordless impact gun. Its a pretty bad gun for being electric but im probably going to need to step it up. I got my passenger side off no problem with it.

you could try cutting the nut off w/ grinder or sawzall.
Also, are you trying to take this off w/ the bottom of the strut disconnected?
If so it might help to bolt it back on the spindle and let the suspension hang or jack it up.
I dont have a sawzall, but i could always get one. And i had the spindle still connected when i was doing all this. So there was even spring tension on it. But im not sure if it would help to have that tension or not.

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Put the vice grips on from UNDER the fenderwell.

·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres todays irritations,
So thinking that my 250ft lbs of electric impact gun wasnt cutting it i went to Home Depot and got a Husky 500ft lbs air impact. But my air wont push it hard enough to get that instant hit in the begining. Ive got a 25 gallon tank thats only rated for 4cfm @ 90psi i think. But my shut off pressure is 120psi and i still dont get the air i need. I might need to see if i can get a higher flowing valve off the tank and run bigger hose.

I did try you idea MFE, but the strut rod is too slippery. Not with fluid being on it, its just so polished that i was unable to get any descent grip.

I think ill just go to a tire store tomorow and let them do it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've run into this before.

Take a dremel with a thin cutting wheel and make several cuts on the nut and it will fall right off.

Simple as chewing gum.

C'mon guys, surely I can't be the only one here who thinks outside the box. LOL.

·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I had a falling out with Dremel. They over heat quickly and the rmp adjuster stops working right. Ive trashed 3 of them and wasnt over working them. Id like to find a company that makes a heavy duty rotary tool that can stay going for more than 4 minutes at a time.

But that idea had crossed my mind. So did using an air chisel. But i think the air chisel would just be a bunch of noise and no results.

edit: btw it should be noted that i love doing porting and polishing work. So a Dremel used to be my go to tool. But lately ive been so fed up with their ever deminishing quality that i stopped buying them. It seems like every time i replaced it the new one had a shorter life than the last.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here's some ideas:

Heat the nut with a good propane torch

Use a pipe wrench on the strut shaft under the fender

cut the strut shaft off from underneith, unbolt the caster/camber plates, and take it to a workbench for further disassembly

It sounds like you aren't trying hard enough....

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I did try you idea MFE, but the strut rod is too slippery. Not with fluid being on it, its just so polished that i was unable to get any descent grip.
Well it's time to eat your Wheaties then. If you've got a decent set of vice grips and put them on there as tight as you possibly can it WILL hold the rod. You could also put a rag on the strut rod and then vice grip it.

·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know there are 101 ways to skin this cat but i should say that i do live in an appartment complex and this is my daily driver. And the more complicated the project the longer things take. So if a fail, istill have to be able to drive the car.

I think what im going to do is take my 500ft lbs gun with me to a tire store and ask if i can hook up to their air real quick to break a nut loose. Then ill tighten it back down but not overly tight. Then finish it up. If that doesnt work i may try to use a cut off wheel and weaken the nut. i say that because i dont want to cut so close that i ruin my MM spacers.

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Just ask the guys to zip them loose, you shouldn't even need to hook up your gun. If that doesn't work, then clean the strut shafts with brake cleaner and put rubber between the vicegrips and the shafts for a better grip to keep them from turning.

·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BAAA HAAA, take that you stupid nut!!!

Its off and the new Bilstein is in. I had one of the tire techs at a Goodyear loosen it for me. He almost made it look too easy. Then i drove it home slowly and got it the rest of the way. After the nut was off i was able to see that Ford or the last Ford tech put two indentions in the nut at the top so that the threads binded up a little.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts