Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a couple days ago about the vibrations, and shaking my steering wheel does mainly at speeds over 65 mph although the wheel shakes as well is I hit a large bump in the road.....I just bought the car and have had new brakes/rotors put on in addition to new front tires and an alignment check....the previous front tires had uneven wear on the INSIDE of both tires. Can bad struts be causing the vibrations/shaking of my wheel or is there no relationship?

Folks suggested having the wheel bearings replaced - would this help and how much does this typically cost?

THANKS

·
Super Moderator
28,596 Posts
they can't cause it but they won't do anything to mask another issue that IS causing it.

I think you have control arm bushing problems but that's just me.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
You dont have to replace your wheel bearings, just repack them with grease and make sure the nut is tightened properly. I am no expert on the front end like MFE is, but I cured my vibration up front by repacking my bearings, but am in the process of SN95 Conversion so I will not have to worry about packing bearings anymore.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
mfe was talking about bushings, not bearings

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
sounds alot like tire balance to me... hitting a pot hole can sometimes knock off wheel weights. Did this start before or after you had the work done?? Have you tried swaping the rear tires to the front to see what happens??

·
Registered
832 Posts
All of you are correct. Tire balance, bad struts (causes feathering on the inside or outside of tire like a ripple as you move your hand arund the tire) bad bearings and suspension arm bushings can cause shake. Trouble shoot and do the fairly simple stuff first ie repack your bearings (every 30,000 miles) have your wheels re balanced and check you struts for damage/wear. Have a reputable shop check your suspension bushings if need be. You've got your ideas now fix the problem. My guess is that it's a wheel balance issue. Good luck.

Henry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.