Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of planning an engine swap into a 92 LX Hatchback. It looks like it is gonna be about a 575hp 408. I am looking for information on what I would need to modify on the car. I know I need a new trans, stronger axles and stuff like that but what about the structure of the car? I was looking at Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors but I just saw a post about through the floor connectors and now I am concerned about how much I would twist up the car with the MM ones. I am planning on running in the high tens so I know I will need a cage too. Do you guys think the MM subframes will be ok with a cage or does it need more? (I know more is always better but does it need it) I just don't want to ruin the car with too much motor.What else should I do? I already have control arms and plan on getting the torque boxes welded. Is there something I am forgetting? Sorry this is so long but thanks for the input.
-Aaron

·
Registered
621 Posts
Aaron, you will want to get your axle tubes welded by someone competent. Also, I don't know if you are just getting the torque box seams welded or what. You want to get the reinforcement plates installed and welded good. Even with this, I had some minor problems. If you plan on gutting your whole car for the project, I would get through the floor subframes. The roll bar will actually attach to this and be much stronger. As far as the Maximum Motorsports subframes, I have not used them, but you can't go wrong with their products. They are built very well with quality materials.
With the kind of power you will have, you will also want some type of anti-roll bar in the back to help keep the car level while launching as well as going down the track.
I have never used one with my power levels, but you may consider using a K-member up front to help alleviate twist. Maybe someone who has actually used one can give some more insight on them.
If it's going to be a race car only, you'll want to consider solid transmission and engine mounts also.

Paul

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
If you're gutting the car then I also recommend tying the UCA torque boxes to the roll cage main hoop with tubing. This will keep them from flexing and moving during launches.

ks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...That is the kinda things I need to know. I am new to the 500+ horsepower range especially on cars. I am used to playing with truck and they have a full frame underneath them and weight is of no concern. Thanks for the info...anything else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts