Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track last Friday and the rear end of my car really scared me that it would break. If people are breaking there half shafts with stock cobra's, I'm making a FEW more hp than stock(431) The car will see track duty maybe a couple times a month at the most. I want to go with something I feel with take the abuse and still be in one piece at the end of the night. If anyone has went with one of these setup please let me know which one would be the best for me. Money is also an object for me, still a high school student, I want to only have to do this once.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I weighed that decision too, and well from my sig you can figure out which way I went. :D
The cost of upgraded halfshafts, brace, shocks put me right where I'm at with the solid axle. Since I frequent the dragstrip A LOT the choice was easier for me. I don't miss the IRS at all. This is and probably will be the best mod I ever did/will do to my car. :cool:

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you trade someone with a GT or did you buy it from someone? Were would be the best place for me to find everything to convert to live axle? I want to keep the IRS, I dont want to just trade someone.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I'll be the first to volunteer for the swap. Not only will I volunteer my "rear end", off my '00 gt only ;), but also the space, tools and time. I'd be more than happy to trade out right and put the labor behind it to make this happen! I live in Indy so we shouldn't be too far apart! Let me know.
Seriously.

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
custom2kgt:

I will keep you name in case I decide that I will just trade but right now I kinda want to keep everything I take off the car. Thanks for the offer:)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just call Moser, Strange, etc. and order you a complete bolt-in 9" and be done with it! There is actually very little $$$ difference in doing this and doing a complete (31 spline axles, good posi., girdle, etc., plus labor) 8.8 rear end. You can order the 9" how ever you want it set-up (axles, gear ratio, posi.) and you won't have to worry about it breaking at the track! ;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm with you 99 SVT COBRA. I think I'm going to have to make that choice myself at some point. I really want to keep the IRS but I guess we'll just have to see.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I posted on the the classifieds here and Stangnet that I wanted a 99+ GT solid axle and someone replied. Done deal.
Good luck, if you have any questions shoot me a PM.
Honestly though, if I were to do it again, I'd just swap with a GT owner.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Just buy the upgraded halfshafts from Raxle or GKN, IRS brace, bushings and maybe shocks in the rear - granted, it's probably as expensive as buying everything you need for a durable live axle, but you won't have to worry about breaking unless you're leaving at 5k+ RPM on slicks - in which case the diff housing and carrier become a liability as well.

Keep the IRS. Work with it. Make it streetable and something you can actually DRIVE. There's always a tradeoff in this game. You have to accept reality. Do you want noise/ratcheting? Do you want a stock-like ride? What's more important to you?

My gamble would be to keep the IRS and upgrade it to withstand the occasional civilized blast down a strip, and at the same time have the durability to keep from having to bring along a tow-truck for peace of mind every time.

You won't cut 1.70 60' times on such a setup, but you can likely upgrade to the point to almost eliminating hop and taking some of the "pucker" factor out of drag racing. Plus, you'll still have the quality of the ride the IRS provides.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Chad, why do you want to keep the IRS?? I mean as you can see from others here IF you decide to go with the live axle just swap with somebody!!! I mean there is NO way you are ever going to take your car back to stock so why keep the IRS??

Your best bet IF you decide to go for the live axle is take the above guy's offer and swap with him - you will NOT regret it and will/should never need the IRS again!! If you want you can purchase all of it setup like the other guys said but that would be expensive considering you can get one for FREE!!! Or you could search through junkyards and look for old and possibly damaged parts!!

IF you decide to keep the IRS that is fine too!! You won't have quite the dragging ability but you CAN make it VERY usable - however, it will cost a lot to do so when you can just swap for a live axle for FREE from the guy above!!

IMO just swap but either way I would vote for the live axle . . but again like one of the guys said it depends on what YOU want!! ;)

-Brad-

·
Registered
322 Posts
YANK!!!!!

lo pony said:

You won't cut 1.70 60' times on such a setup, but you can likely upgrade to the point to almost eliminating hop and taking some of the "pucker" factor out of drag racing. Plus, you'll still have the quality of the ride the IRS provides.
Ummm, you can cut 1.7's easy. Look at my sig. The only rear suspension mods are H&R supersport springs, PHP rear brace & Steeda polyurethane bushings. I did those time on Nitto drag radials with a 2000rpm launch. Any higher and it would spin.

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
Money is also an object for me, still a high school student, I want to only have to do this once.
With a list of mods like you have? I wish I had your financial troubles! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts