Ford Mustang Forums banner

Stroker v.s. Forced Induction

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  SVTCobra347 
#1 ·
ok been thinking about this forever, and i still cant decide. What do you guys think i should do for my long term goal with my car, N/A Stroker motor, or forced induction of some kind, most likely will be a turbo(s)? I'd like to hit 450+rwhp if possible, is that kind of power even possible with a stroker motor, and what would i need to do to make it push that kind of power? I'd prefer to go stroker if possible, just seems safer that way for some reason, but i'm torn between the two options. HELP!!!!!!! :confused:

#2 ·
Do you want to keep the 302 block or step up to the plate with a Windsor block? A 393/408 would make the numbers you're looking for with ease. I'm currently building a 393 that should have 500 rwhp with the help of Ed C.

#3 ·
i have a stroker in my 90 and a blower on my 94. for a daily driver i'ld say if you had to choose one choose a blower.

but 450hp is a lot to ask out of a 302 with a basic blower kit. you'll probably need... heads/cam/intake/maybe smaller blower pully/ good tranny and built rear to support it all.

i would do a 408 with a little shot of nitrous to hit 550-600 rwhp if i had the funds!

#4 ·
i think the blower car would be more civilized(if thats a concern for you...if not lots of cubes and nitrous is a fun combo)

but a blower just has alot of MOJO and you cant put a price tag on MOJO

well i guess in this case you can...about $3500

#5 ·
buy used.. saves money.. i bought my setup from a guy off here. saved lots and got extras.. powerpipe, chip, extra pullys, 42lb injectors, pro m mass air meter..

i'ld let it all go too for the right $$$ pm me if ya wanna talk about it.

#6 ·
why not stroked and blown? That will make alot of power..
nice 331, heads/cam/intake, with 15-17lbs of intercooled boost...mmm blowers arent that expensive if u find them used..
U should be able to pick up a used blower with everything u need for half the price of a new kit.
Actually, u might be able to get close to that 400h/p mark your looking at with just a blower. Uve got a Cobra..
Already got the good intake, decent heads, Swap that cam out, get a mass air, and t/b with exhuast and u should be in the 400h/p mark... im pretty sure ive read of cobras with stock heads/cam/intake, around 400h/p or so.

#7 ·
Ethereal_Zer0 said:
ok been thinking about this forever, and i still cant decide. What do you guys think i should do for my long term goal with my car, N/A Stroker motor, or forced induction of some kind, most likely will be a turbo(s)? I'd like to hit 450+rwhp if possible, is that kind of power even possible with a stroker motor, and what would i need to do to make it push that kind of power? I'd prefer to go stroker if possible, just seems safer that way for some reason, but i'm torn between the two options. HELP!!!!!!! :confused:
With a 302 based stroker 450 rwhp is asking a lot....Your driveability will suck. You could go with a big cube motor, but along with it, comes a big price tag.

I'd get an Intercooled ATI and some AFR 165's.

At 10psi and a good tune you will hit 450rwhp for sure, plus keep bone stock driveability(if the tune is right, seem kinda hard to find nowadays);) ...Wouldnt even touch the cam or the intake(unless you want more)

Why the 165's? The will bolt right up to your stock shortblock(if you dont plan on building the shortblock). They flow really close to 185's out of the box. The 165's will handle more power from boost than your block will, before they become a restriction. But if you plan on building the shortblock, 185's would be the way to go.

Later

#8 ·
Do both!!!!:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

I started with a stock block and added a kb 1500. I loved 'til I couldn't get rid of the detonation. Pulled the heads in hopes of finding a blown head gasket and surprise nothing wrong. I said to myself screw it you only live once. I just got off the phone w/ DSS and ordered a 331 stroker w/ AFR 185's. I specifically told them I wanted 400-500 rwhp and Andrew told me no problem. I'll be paying this off for a year.

It may seem like cheating to some people(read: chevyheads) but I would go with a blower first every time. It's always on tap and it's an easy mod compared to heads/cam/intake. I would go with a procharger p1sc w/intercooler.
Good luck

-BC

#9 ·
I did both and love it. If your funding will allow you will not be dissapointed. I am guessing that I push close to 500 RWHP, but have not gotten a final calibration put on the chip yet. The thing is an ANIMAL. Now I just need some traction....

#11 ·
I've had neither, but I am in the same boat. First I wanted a 7K 306, then I wanted a stroker. So I bought a older 302 bare block clearanced for 347 from Probe. Now I want a 351, but while I'm at it I may as well put in a 393, or a 408. I can't make up my mind. :confused:
I know the deciding factor (i'm crazy) will be gas mileage.
:lol: I can't see feeding 408 cubes all day long. My car gets daily driven about 18,000 miles a year. What gets better mileage???
A low-rpm torquey stroker, or a no-torque-all-rpm blown 306?

sorry if I stold your post Ethereal_Zero...

#12 ·
hehe no worries about stealing my thread, i'm interested to hear this as well :) oh btw, how does one make a 393 or a 408? and what is the best 351 block to use? wont i have to go carbureted then?

#15 ·
HELL NO!!! We don't need no stinkin' carburetion! You can inject that bad boy. I like your thinking.

#17 ·
I vote for stroker-I'm considering a bullet 331 myself now. There's nothing like whupping a ricer then being able to break their little heart by telling them you don't have "nawws" or a turbo or a supercharger- yep, just eight good'ol cylinders of old fashioned n/a torquey a** kickin'!!!!!!

Sure my car will get it's natural ass(piration) handed to it by a blown 'stang, but I don't need the fastest car ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.