Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I have built several motors,but have never dealt with stroker stuff. What is the difference between a stroker piston for a 302 and a regular 302 piston? Also if you have a stroker piston do you have to have a stroker crank? I know you can use different rod sizes (5.090 stock 5.391?) anyway,I guess my main question is can I use a stroker piston with stock size crank and rods?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
No, you can't use a stroker piston with a stock stroke crank. I guess you could, but you would need a custom length connecting rod. The compression height of a stroker piston is generally a lot smaller than a stock one, and if you put it on a stock rod and stock crank, it will end up way down in the cylinder at TDC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You n8s_stang and Hardy Christensen maybe you two or someone else can answere this one for me.
Would this work?
1.)4.030" pistons
2.)A 5.315" rod with stock 3.00" stroke
3.)And a stock stroke crankshaft
And would this be a 316?
And once again Thank You for the help this stroker stuff is new to me but it seems to stay-up with the jones it takes a little more than old fashion know how...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Than can you explain why
stock rod is 5.090
stock bore is 4.000 I know .030" makes it a 306 so why does not going to a longer rod make a difference. I used to have a small block 400 (chevy) .030" over and saw an article in a mag. on 400's about a lunati kit for it (forged crank stock # on stroke but they used a 327 rod which was a little bit longer and .030" over they said made it 428ci. this is why I do not understand how you add a longer rod and stay the same ci. if this is true than how do you get a 316?????

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
We need to know the compression height of the piston to tell you if it will work. If you use a stock 306 piston with the 5.315" rod, the piston will stick way out of the cylinder at TDC because the normal 302/306 rod is 5.090". Use this formula....

Take 1/2 of the stroke (3/2 = 1.5)
Rod length = 5.315
Deck height of a 302 is 8.2"

So...

8.2 - 5.315 - 1.5 = 1.385 compression height.

You would need a piston with 1.385 C/H to work with that rod.

Or...

8.2 - 5.090 - 1.5 = 1.61 c/h

So the stock compression height of a standard piston is 1.61"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the explanation I thought about it and what I was losing myself on was the pin placement of the pistons I was looking at stock placement and not like a stroker placement, so thank you for your time and input ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts