Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sort of a newbie to these engines... i know that the 302 is the 5.0

the 351W is a windsor 5.4L engine correct?

the 5.8L is from the Cobra R correct? what's the numerical name for that?

What is a stroker? I see stroker kits... do those modify engines to make the bigger? Like 302 to a 331? or something like that

thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
351W is a 5.8L. It's a pushrod V8 found in Ford trucks and vans prior to the 5.4L, and was in the Cobra R one year (1995?). The 5.4L is an overhead cam engine that is currently used in Ford trucks and vans.

A stoker is an engine that has a longer piston stroke than stock, thereby increasing engine displacement.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As said before, yes, the 351 is a 5.8L engine (well, almost).
And 95 was the year that the Cobra R was treated to a 351. And it is a pleasure to drive, let me tell you (don't own one, was just lucky enough to drive it).

The conversion is 61.02374 cubic inces per Liter.

The bore (diameter of the cyl bore in the block) and the stroke (distance the piston travels in the bore) of the engine determines it's displacement. A stroker increases displacement (and in theory power) by increasing the stroke of a motor. The most popular for a 302 are the 331 and the 347. With these, there is also an increase of the bore, 0.030". Or you could say the motor is bored 30 (thousandths) over.

The "W" from 351W refers to the plant (in this case) in which the block was produced. 351W means it was made in Windsor (Ontario). A 351C was made in Clevaland, OH. There are also the 351M (M --> Modified) and maybe a few rare others. Each of these blocks are different. The Windsors had larger dia mains than the Clevlands, etc.

Well, I guess that was the long version of the previous reply. But, hang around the corral long enough, and you'll know everything you ever wanted to know about Ford motors. There's a lot of knowledge on this board.

Peace
Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts