Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a vision in my head for a project I've thought about for a while. I've seen a ton of drag cars with 460s but they all have bag brakes and poor street manners.

My idea is to run a full maximum motorsports suspension front to rear with coil overs on all 4 corners.

99-04 hydroboost brake setup with cobra brakes on all 4 corners.

Use k member spacers if necessary to clear the valve covers, I did this with my old 5.4 4v setup.

I should be able to retain the factory interior except for the cluster.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Seems like it would be a fun cruiser for meets and stuff. It will see little to no track time so that's not really a concern.

·
Registered
189 Posts
They make great street cars. Remember you're adding a lot of weight to the frontend. Also, with a 10.3 deck height on the block, they are very tall. The Edelbrock Torquer II will give good hood clearance and better performance than a Performer intake. You will love the power/torque. They will last forever. You won't like the fuel economy. Gear accordingly.

Good luck. I have a lot of parts if you need something, give me a shout. I'm less than an hour away.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I want to see Fox Stangs with the Boss 429's in them. I saw one on a You Tube down in San Antonio but that was it.

There was as guy at the track I ran at that used to have a 460 in his Fox and it ran low 10's all day long, without breaking a sweat. He ran that car for years.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The problem with making one handle with a big block in it is the weight. Even with aluminum heads and an intake the additional weight over a sbf is significant. Unless you got deep pockets to buy an aluminum block, there is no way around this problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's my 1981 Zephyr wagon. It has a 557/C6 and a complete 2004 Mustang Cobra suspension & brakes including the IRS with Koni shocks/struts and hydroboost. It also has a 6-point cage which still allows full use of the rear seat and fold-down back, fire extinguisher and harnesses. It's a nice street car; I plan to use it for a track day at Daytona the next time there's one available. Lotsa fun!

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Here's my 1981 Zephyr wagon. It has a 557/C6 and a complete 2004 Mustang Cobra suspension & brakes including the IRS with Koni shocks/struts and hydroboost. It also has a 6-point cage which still allows full use of the rear seat and fold-down back, fire extinguisher and harnesses. It's a nice street car; I plan to use it for a track day at Daytona the next time there's one available. Lotsa fun!

Tom
Would love to see more of this car!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I built mine to do exactly what the OP stated. Although i keep turning it into a race car more and more! Great street manners. Temps stay at 180 unless its pretty hot out but still stays under 200. 5spd. manual steering. manual brakes. No heat, no AC. Stupid fun to drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just curious, what 5-speed did you use? Which headers? Pretty much everything we normally see for BBF Fox swaps is with a C6.

cheers
Ed

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have the D&D mid length headers, I probably should have gone with full length for fitment issues with the clutch. As the fork and the header tried to take up the same space. I relocated my pivot point inside the bell housing so that the fork is closer to 6oclock.

Running a T5 currently, and will eventually get it built or go TKO.

Also, passenger header is very close to the starter cover on the bellhousing, which i had to massage that as well.

I am using an MM steering shaft to clear the headers and offset bushings on the manual rack to help move it away from the headers as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts