Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It could be 302, 331 408 etc; Tell me what you enjoyed driving on the street and strip. I am trying to decide on the next build.......

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have had several fun setups over the years, but my favorite was no where near the nicest or highest horsepower setup I have had. It was my old daily driver it had a stock long block, cobra intake, full bolt ons, and a 100 shot. the car would go [email protected] and it was reliable the car never let me down not to mention the car would dead hook on the street.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
last street car

my last street car was a 1990 coupe with a 306 with fully ported canfield heads,holley systemmax intake,30 inj,custom cam,70 mm tb and a big mass air. i had a tko tranny and 3:55 gears. its best pass on motor was a 12.18 dont remember the mph. i would race on friday and sat and work on it sunday to fix any that broke so i could drive it to work on monday. then i got a car or truck to drive to work so i did not have to work on it to make it too work.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Gotta say my 1st was my Fav...an '85 regatta blue GT that i bought in '89. I was 19yo and i learned how to Hot Rod cars working on that thing in my parents driveway.And i learned how to drive fast cars driving it on the local streets(almost got myself killed a couple times in the process). GOOD TIMES!!!

13.30 car with stock shortblock,self ported E7's milled .030,Edelbrock Original Torker(carb twisted slightly),750 annular,Hooker 1.5" longtubes,4.56 gear.

12.20 car with .030 302,10.8:1 comp,Comp Cams Solid flat tappet,E7's with 1.94 1.60 valves IIRC,Victor Jr.,3.73 gears.

one of the best things about that car was never caring if something broke.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Stock longblock, 150 shot and all the bolt ons. Went 11.80 @ 112. I didn't give two ####s if anything broke and drove it and raced it all over the place. Zero maintenance. Zero tuning. Just abuse it and have fun.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Stock stroke 351w with trickflow h/c/i. Car went 12.3s at 114mph on radials, was the most reliable setup ever, barely opened the hood, hooked on the street, got good mileage too, and handled really well.

Worst was the same car but with gt40 heads and intake and an s-trim. Headgaskets got changed once a month, car overheated a lot. Ran about the same as the setup above.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Stock stroke 351w in a 90GT with untouched trickflow heads, intake and cam. Simple cheap, dead reliable and ran 12.3 at 114mph on street tires. Handled good too... Everything you could want in a street strip car.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'd say the most entertaining combo I owned so far is when I had a 327 (stock bore, 3.4 stroke) in the car. Had the same heads/intake/exhaust that I do now, but with a 100 shot on it.

Ran 11.3's @123 and drove it 90 miles home from the track. Always had a lot of fun with that combo.

Now I have a 347 with the same heads/intake/exhaust as the 327 with a t-trim on it that makes over 650 to the tires. Although it is a lot of fun driving this setup, it definitely has its draw back as far as maintaining everything goes.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My current is the best,out of all setups I've had in this car,over a 25 year period.
1985 Fox coupe, with a 427 cube Dart block,carbed,with TKO-600 and 3.50 big 9 rear. With it's mild hyd. roller cam,it runs easy 11.4's at 128. No boost needed. ET's could be better with harder launch and better synchro's in the TKO,as getting into 3rd and 4th,can be troublsome. But it's 95% street car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My favorite 302 based motor was a 10:1 306
Childs & Albert aluminum rods (put 3500 street miles and 60+ passes on them)
AFR 205 heads
AFM N61 cam
EFI spyder intake
90mm TB
42lb injectors (ran on E85)
Spec 3
Liberty Faceplated TKO
4.10 gear

Wasn't real strong on the motor, 12.55 @ 108 but came alive like crazy on the bottle. 100 shot 11.20 at 122, and 150 shot 10.98 at 124.

Now that I've got my 408 I'm in love with 10's all motor :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had a 306ci P heads, Ported Cobra, tremec 3550 and a 373 gear in the rear of my 1988 LX. Ran 12.00 on motor and a 11.1 on a shot of gas. Trapped 122-124mph but not one single problem. I never did anything but oil changes and spark plugs for 100+ passes and numerous hits on the street.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Present ride. 87 Hatch 408 3.90 gear. Historic tags and pump gas. Don't touch it besides turn the key and put gas in it.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
In the sig.

However. Your most worry free IMHO is a good N/A build with around 400rwhp.

Reactions: Str8ballar

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The one I have right now has bee the most fun for me. Not has fast as some of my turbo set ups and not as simple as some of the H/C/I set ups.

Boss block 314 build by fordstrokers
TFS high ports
Victor 5.0 with 90mm TB
Anderson N-91 (coming out this winter for a custom grind)
Bassani long tubes, with x-pipe and 3" spintech prosteets
Tko 600
4.30 gears.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
my favorite was the 91 i sold back in july:confused:stock block 331 10.75-1 dart 195cc heads, tfs r intake fti cam bassani longtubes and full 3in exhaust out the back. 80mm tb with 97mm abaco. car drove like stock and pulled like a frieght train to redline. sounded tame at idle with hooker max flows but at wot sounded pissed!

·
Registered
588 Posts
My favorite Mustangs have always been my bone stock ones. Get in and drive the #### out of them. Nothing more than add some gas, change some fluids, and wash them then put them away to restart the fun another day doing it all over again..

·
Registered
268 Posts
i am going to have to say the stock 351 afr185s and a dry kit that put 125hp to the rear wheels, turbo'd it after that and it was ALOT more fun but as far as maitenence and worry free fun the nitrous stock 351 is the way to go, i am putting a similar motor in the car now while the big turbo motor is being built, oh and 5 speed 5speed 5speed!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I had a 86 gutted carbed coupe with a holley 650 dp, 4:30 gears, stock longblock minus cam, had a f cam in it. Full drag suspension and a tremec 3550. The car never ever let me down, it was a killer street car and ran a best of [email protected] Car weighed 3190 with me in it. and i am 225lbs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Really interesting replies, much fewer supercharged and turboed combinations than I expected. Will definitely influence my present project plans. Right now I have a totally stock engine with exhaust and ignition upgrades and I can really appreciate the reliability even though it's not super powerful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think most ppl can agree with a FIRST decent powered combo that anything upto 450 flywheel hp is fun on the street/track.

Now if ur moving on 2nd or 3rd combo for street/strip fun ppl start to chase more hp, so i suggest u build something where u can upgrade for more hp easily.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts