·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
687 Posts
The Elvis of clutches lives. Viva King Cobra! Buddy used one in his supercharged ‘93 Cobra with a Vortech supercharger, TW’s and E cam. Held up great.

I have used an entry-level McLoad clutch and a center force stage one on a 300’ish hp 289 with a T5 in the past. They were both fine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would be careful buying "Valeo" clutches off Ebay. The one I bought had a Valeo pressure plate but the most generic and sad looking disc you ever saw, definitely not the one in the picture. Looked like it would rip apart at the first stoplight. I wrote to the vendor and they admitted that "Stage 2" comes with a generic disc and sent me the actual Valeo disc but wanted more money for it. So I'd either buy a higher "stage" or just figure out your own disc and consider the Stage 2 "kit" for $87 as being the pressure plate only. It's still pretty cheap. However, I am wondering if the current stuff is as good as the "King Cobra" of the old days even though it's still made by Valeo.

This is what my first disc looked like:

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,200 Posts
Pushed in on the softest clutch pedal I've ever felt in a fox that was cable operated, an Exedy. Don't know what stage it was but the pressure plate was purple. Behind a nasty carbed solid roller AFR headed 331 with 4.30's. Car runs 10.80's too boot NA.

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,200 Posts
I would be careful buying "Valeo" clutches off Ebay. The one I bought had a Valeo pressure plate but the most generic and sad looking disc you ever saw, definitely not the one in the picture. Looked like it would rip apart at the first stoplight. I wrote to the vendor and they admitted that "Stage 2" comes with a generic disc and sent me the actual Valeo disc but wanted more money for it. So I'd either buy a higher "stage" or just figure out your own disc and consider the Stage 2 "kit" for $87 as being the pressure plate only. It's still pretty cheap. However, I am wondering if the current stuff is as good as the "King Cobra" of the old days even though it's still made by Valeo.

Funny you mentioned it looks like it would rip apart because that's EXACTLY what happened with my buddy's 331 I mentioned above with the Exedy clutch now. He bought one of those and it completed exploded the friction disc on the 3rd hard launch. All the friction material just came right off in fiber material/ dust! Lol.....it looked like a Nitro fuel car when he launched with clutch dust going everywhere!

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
687 Posts

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is what the actual Valeo disc looks like.

The current "authentic" version of a Valeo "King Cobra" clutch will have Pressure Plate P/N: FDC-09 and Disc P/N: FD-36. This will supposedly hold 400hp at the crank.

This is allegedly the correct one:

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts

I've got a brand new Ebay one in the box here, let me do an unboxing and post back some pics,
but I have one in the car now and has held up to 40 or so passes at the track so far
launching off the 2 step at 5-6K, my engine will be coming out soon so I can verify what's in there now at that time
but it is an ebay valeo king cobra

·
Registered
443 Posts
here is pics of the new kit I received from ebay, just opened the box today.

Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim Gas

Auto part Personal protective equipment Plastic Automotive tire Plastic wrap

Rim Gas Circle Machine Auto part

it does have pilot bearing, throw out bearing and alignment tool

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
I had a Ford Racing King Cobra on my 86 GT for years - never had a problem. Easy pedal. When I built the 347 I switched to a Centerforce Dual Friction with an aluminum flywheel. Much easier pedal but the fly wheel takes getting used to.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My car was AOD and converted it to T5 last year, I didn't want too aggressive clutch for the T5 and read the Valeo king cobra was a "good value" clutch so decided to give it a shot, been happy so far
but I'm just HCI and figured it would hold at that kind of power level, and it has so far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts