Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls.
i fitted a strange manual brake conversion to my 98gt with wilwood bias valve and stock calipers and a hurst line loc....
since fitting this set up I struggle to get the line loc to lock the front wheels and the brakes in general are just way worse than I ever thought they would be. If this is normal then I’ll live with it but I thought that the brakes would be better than they are. Any advice I’d appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Did the kit include a new brake pedal?

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
The M/C that was provided in the kit, is the M/C piston bigger or larger than the one that was on the car?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The M/C that was provided in the kit, is the M/C piston bigger or larger than the one that was on the car?
That I don’t know I just bought the kit that is advertised for that year car from jegs

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
You need to find out. If you have the wrong M/C, then no matter what you do the brakes will never feel right or work right. The manual brakes on my racecar easily slow my car down from 160+ mph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That I don’t know I just bought the kit that is advertised for that year car from jegs
You need to find out. If you have the wrong M/C, then no matter what you do the brakes will never feel right or work right. The manual brakes on my racecar easily slow my car down from 160+ mph.
ok thanks I never gave it a thought tbf. I shall look into it and let you know what I find

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks I never gave it a thought tbf. I shall look into it and let you know what I find
Is there a particular ratio/size I should be using? I guess you arnt using stock calipers.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
There are a lot of things that may (or may not) come into play for optimal M/C piston size. Weight of car, front and rear brake configuration ect. That is why the original M/C piston size is used as a starting point.
My own car has Aerospace 4 piston front calipers with a non vented front rotor. The rear brakes are Wilwood 4 piston calipers, again with non vented rotors. These are very thin lightweight rotors to cut down on rotational weight and overall vehicle weight. My car weighs 3,150 lbs with me in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a lot of things that may (or may not) come into play for optimal M/C piston size. Weight of car, front and rear brake configuration ect. That is why the original M/C piston size is used as a starting point.
My own car has Aerospace 4 piston front calipers with a non vented front rotor. The rear brakes are Wilwood 4 piston calipers, again with non vented rotors. These are very thin lightweight rotors to cut down on rotational weight and overall vehicle weight. My car weighs 3,150 lbs with me in it.
So from what I can find The original m/c bore was 1” and the strange unit I have fitted has 1”1/8 bore. I’m using the original pbr stock front and rear calipers running through a wilwood bias valve. The pedal is hard as you would expect without brake assistance but the shopping power is rubbish.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
It would work better with a 15/16" bore M/C. It sounds counter intuitive, but the smaller bore provides better pressure at the caliper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would work better with a 15/16" bore M/C. It sounds counter intuitive, but the smaller bore provides better pressure at the caliper.
Now you say that It make sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts