Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a long. Be fighting the overheating problem. Car has new 2 core AL radiator, Stewart Hi flow pump, 160 Tstat, fan. CCRM and ECT are working correctly. Car still runs hot and overheats when AC is on. Now here's the strange part.

When driving home yesterday after the mechanic gave up we noticed the following: at a constant 35 mph turned on Norm AC and fan at low speed, hardly a change in temp. After 1/4mi still at 35 turned fan to 2nd speed, slight increase in temp?? 1/4 mi later still at 35mph, went to 3rd fan speed and temp gauge almost immediately jumped one letter???1/4mi later switched fan to hi speed and temp went up again????

Going to spend this weekend driving and experimenting w/AC on Normal and MaxAC w/different fan settings to see what happens.

My thoughts are one (know the factory gauge is crap) but there is some sort of power/electrical load or change that's causing this and that's a problem. Any ideas or help is appreciated.

I plan on starting out by checking VREF and working up from there this weekend using Charles Probst diagnostics.
Wayne

·
Registered
795 Posts
hounddog said:
This is going to be a long. Be fighting the overheating problem. Car has new 2 core AL radiator, Stewart Hi flow pump, 160 Tstat, fan. CCRM and ECT are working correctly. Car still runs hot and overheats when AC is on. Now here's the strange part.

When driving home yesterday after the mechanic gave up we noticed the following: at a constant 35 mph turned on Norm AC and fan at low speed, hardly a change in temp. After 1/4mi still at 35 turned fan to 2nd speed, slight increase in temp?? 1/4 mi later still at 35mph, went to 3rd fan speed and temp gauge almost immediately jumped one letter???1/4mi later switched fan to hi speed and temp went up again????

Going to spend this weekend driving and experimenting w/AC on Normal and MaxAC w/different fan settings to see what happens.

My thoughts are one (know the factory gauge is crap) but there is some sort of power/electrical load or change that's causing this and that's a problem. Any ideas or help is appreciated.

I plan on starting out by checking VREF and working up from there this weekend using Charles Probst diagnostics.
Wayne
After all of our emails back and forth i assumed you had already verified the temp with a MECHANICAL guage.. IF you have not .. You need to install one temporarily and VERYIFY the actual temp OR use a ratech (pretty darned accurate) and ck it when the car is supposedly running hot!! Are you actually boiling any water or pusing any out and steaming????

Tony

·
Registered
508 Posts
My car always runs cooler with the AC on. I'll trade ya!! I'm tired of wasting gas when I'd rather just wind the windows down (that's when mine overheats).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Yesterday, drove the 12 miles home at 35 mph w/AC on in 95 degree heat. Ran warm but didn't overheat!!!! I've got a set of AM gauges coming on Friday so I'll actually be able to measure temps while I continue to work on cooling it off. I have the complete set of radiator air deflectors coming this weekend too since my car had none to start.
The last changes of adding the front lower air deflector and new fan may have helped me get where we are now. I have completely confirmed that the CCRM and Fan work in hi/lo speed as they are supposed to. About all there is left to do is the air deflectors, a bottle of red line and change back to a 180 tstat to see what diff in temps I get btwn 160 and 180 tstats.
Wayne
It ain't over till its over.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts