Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not another thread asking for flow characteristics or valve measurements. I'm trying to figure out if things like gaskets, valve covers, and other accessories are compatible with one another.

I've got GT40 heads on my 5.0 right now, and when I went in for spark plugs I told the guys at Napa '93 Cobra so I could get the right plugs. They said that their books don't even list anything for the Cobra. So I'm gonna take a shot and guess that they don't have Lightning specific parts either. So what I would like to know is if the GT40(P) and stock heads share any accessories such as gaskets (head and valve cover), valve covers, etc.

Thanks,
Sawyer

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the trick? Everything I found about Explorers said that they have GT40Ps and some of them came with non P.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Gaskets are the same, P head spark plugs have a longer reach.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
GT40 plugs also have a longer reach than the E7TE. I bought NGK plugs at the parts store for my Lightning, and I believe they gave me regular 5.8L ones. They were like 1/2" shorter. Which would physically bolt in and fire, but there would be a power loss. I ended up bringing in an old plug and having them cross that number.

The emissions label under the hood on my Lightning calls for AWSF-32C Motorcraft plugs gapped at .042" to .046".

As far as what bolts on/to the heads, everything else is the same as far as exhaust stuff, valve covers, accessory brackets, etc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to pull a plug in the parking lot at Napa and bring it in for them to cross reference the numbers. The E7 plugs that I bought from Napa at first wouldn't even thread into the heads.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
That's the trick? Everything I found about Explorers said that they have GT40Ps and some of them came with non P.
I believe the first year of the 5.0 explorer (96) had gt40. It might have even been only halfway through 96. From then on it was the P head.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
SNIP I told the guys at Napa '93 Cobra SNIP
That's your problem. In my experience NAPA hires the crappiest parts monkeys you'll ever find. I don't understand how they became a national chain. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I've had more experience with non-caring people with zero knowledge behind the NAPA counter than anywhere else.

Any parts store anywhere should have absolutely no problem finding '93 Cobra plugs. It's a newer mass-produced car.

The guy behind the counter was an idiot. If this NAPA is the only place nearby, wait for the other guy behind the counter rather than going to the guy who couldn't find a spark plug. Otherwise, try an O'Reillys or something. Also, I've found that usually the warehouse stores have the better guys working there. If you can find a warehouse store nearby it will save you a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's your problem. In my experience NAPA hires the crappiest parts monkeys you'll ever find. I don't understand how they became a national chain. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I've had more experience with non-caring people with zero knowledge behind the NAPA counter than anywhere else.

Any parts store anywhere should have absolutely no problem finding '93 Cobra plugs. It's a newer mass-produced car.

The guy behind the counter was an idiot. If this NAPA is the only place nearby, wait for the other guy behind the counter rather than going to the guy who couldn't find a spark plug. Otherwise, try an O'Reillys or something. Also, I've found that usually the warehouse stores have the better guys working there. If you can find a warehouse store nearby it will save you a lot of trouble.
Around here it is totally the opposite. I got the new guy when I went in this time. But the closest O'Reillys to me employs high school girls who sold me a rear main seal instead of an axle seal for my K20.

The guys at my local Napa are usually extremely knowledgeable and they all know me. Other than this new guy all of them have been there pretty much all their lives. Plus I get a discount through work there.

The only other auto parts store in my town is CarQuest and the guys who work there are dick heads. I avoid them at all costs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.