Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though my stock differential feels fine, I was wondering if I should do a total rear end swap with anothwer car to keep my gear with getting a new car. Or is this part something that should last last well past the other motor/drivetrain parts. Even though the rear with more miles has the original diff, all the bearings are new from gear install. It would just be easier to swap the WHOLE rear than reinstall another set of gears and have to buy them again. Does the stock one use clutches like some aftermarket or is it more the teeth style. Thanks for any input on experience.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know?, or does anyone not have any experience. I imagine it wears a little, but is it a significant difference?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
The stock trac lock used clutches for the limited slip. One thing, your Cobra has bigger brakes than a GT, so if the other rear end is a GT, I would not do it. It would probly easier to swap out the whole rear end rather than change all bearing and gears. I would keep the Cobra brakes, even though they don't make a lot of difference, and keep the Cobra original. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, the trac lock will wear. If you do a burn out and only get a 1 wheel peel then it is probably crippled. Swapping rear ends is definately easier than rebuilding the diff, but there is no guarntee that the new rear end will be any better. You can buy rebuild kits which includes new clutch plates.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am going to swap the rearend from my 94 to the 95 to use my 3.73's and rebuild the diff when I have it out. This could be a chinese fire drill to get them both out and in and rebuild the diff in a day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both rears are from Cobra, and the one I would keep has half the miles mine does now, so with a lift and all power tools, I think I will just do a total swap and forget about it. But, at 138k miles, the one I have now still feels pretty good, it never chatters and you can feel it still work good when accel hard out of a turn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts