Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK heres the deal,
I bought my current mustang about 5 months ago. Its a 95 GT with 130000 miles, 3.55 gears, pulleys, kn air filter, ford racing plugs, aftermarket exhaust w/out cats, a king cobra clutch, and a shortened shifter.

Now the problem, the engine runs very strong and all but im having problems with the shifting. It seems like the shifts are very sluggish when pushed and i often have problems shifting in 2nd and reverse. So I need some advice on how to make it perform as well as the rest of the car. As far as i know, the shift is only "shorten" and is still the stock shifter. So should i put in an aftermarket shifter? will it make a big difference? Also is my clutch causing the sluggish shifts when powershifted and pushed? Should i replace that with another clutch? What else should i do to make my t5 perform better. Keep in mind i have an extended warranty on the car so i dont want to ruin that.
thanx
SKY

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Sounds like worn synchros to me. Call around to reputable shops and see what they charge to upgrade the synchros. While your having that done have the input shaft checked for endplay and shimmed up if need be. I doubt its covered under an extended warrenty but it may be worth looking into. Powershifting it though will more than likely cause 3rd gear failure after while. Also if there isn't enough air gap in the clutch this will result in a delayed engagement of the clutch on hard high rpm shifts. The only way to adjust this is with an adjustable clutch cable, if your running the stocker it may have stretched or the stock plastic quadrant may have cracked or warped with the heavier pedal effort of the king cobra clutch. Anytime a clutch is installed with an increased pedal effort, the stock cable and quadrant should be replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts