Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mustang GT, Explorer GT40 Long block, Anderson n41 cam.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock gt40 long block (96 explorer motor.) I'm going to upgrade the valve springs and toss in a n41 cam. This is kind of a budget build, so for now I would like to run the stock rocker arms.

Do I just set the lash to zero, and make sure I get to 24ft with a 1/4 to 1 full turn?

Anybody run stock rockers with this cam?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just bolt them down and torque the stock rockers. No extra 1/4 to one turn. 22ft lbs to 24ft lbs would be plenty.
Yeah, I wasnt talking about a 1/4 or one turn past 24 lbs. I was saying do zero lash, and then torque to 24 lbs, and from zero lash to 24lbs ft lbs should happen with a 1/4 to 1 full turn.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It will vary how much of a turn you get depending on the length of the pushrods and how they work with that cam. Are you trying to use the stock push rods? Going aftermarket hardened push rods? Do they need to be shorter or longer than stock length? Need to check the valve train geometry to see if they need to be shorter or longer. That's a pretty big jump from a stock cam to a N-41. I've got an N-412 in one of my car's but it has stud mount adjustable rockers. You may need different length push rods.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will vary how much of a turn you get depending on the length of the pushrods and how they work with that cam. Are you trying to use the stock push rods? Going aftermarket hardened push rods? Do they need to be shorter or longer than stock length? Need to check the valve train geometry to see if they need to be shorter or longer. That's a pretty big jump from a stock cam to a N-41. I've got an N-412 in one of my car's but it has stud mount adjustable rockers. You may need different length push rods.
I do think I'll have to change the push rod. I do plan on measuring them... I will probably get roller rockers one day when I find a good deal on a set...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah, I wasnt talking about a 1/4 or one turn past 24 lbs. I was saying do zero lash, and then torque to 24 lbs, and from zero lash to 24lbs ft lbs should happen with a 1/4 to 1 full turn.
Your adjustment instructions are correct....
There are rocker shims available to help,,, I believe the kit I have has 3 different sizes included.
Roller rocker arms are really a wast of money unless you are " full race" ... What I purchased were some roller tip rockers which reduce or eliminate most of the valve guide wear... I found these at Lunati....
Font Auto part Symbol Fashion accessory Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Rocker shims won't work if the push rods are too short. Those Lunati roller tip rockers look like a waste of money to me. If you were able to give us a review maybe you could change my mind about those Lunati rockers even though I still wouldn't buy them. But I suppose your stang isn't running quite yet to be able to give us a review/feedback on them?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
18-25ftlb is technically what you can get away with as far as that 1/4-1 turn of preload. I always just use 20ftlb.

Put the cam in, slap some rockers on it and see if they’ll work. Worst case is you either need to shim the pedestals up or change pushrod length.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Rocker shims won't work if the push rods are too short. Those Lunati roller tip rockers look like a waste of money to me. If you were able to give us a review maybe you could change my mind about those Lunati rockers even though I still wouldn't buy them. But I suppose your stang isn't running quite yet to be able to give us a review/feedback on them?
STill mad about the election??

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yea, run the stock rockers, they will work.
Might need 6.300 pushrods.
Skip the roller tip rockers, the difference is marginal.
If you do decide to get some roller tip rockers DO NOT RUN 1.7 ROCKERS.
The N-41 cam is designed for 1.6s
The N-21 is the one that uses 1.7s.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,576 Posts
STill mad about the election??
bringing up politics in a technical discussion? Time to go runoff and complain to MFE.

Ask the LS guys at work point they think a roller tip rocker is needed. It is overrated on most basic builds. At least that seems to be the more current popular opinion.

·
Registered
889 Posts
bringing up politics in a technical discussion? Time to go runoff and complain to MFE.

Ask the LS guys at work point they think a roller tip rocker is needed. It is overrated on most basic builds. At least that seems to be the more current popular opinion.
I was not going to use my 22 year old stock rockers on my build, so I bought these roller tip instead of new stock rockers....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts