Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good work. Certainly doesn't LOOK very free flowing!

Jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
The insides don't look so good...

But the aftermarket still has a hard time improving upon it. Most of the hp to be had from exhaust mods is located upstream from the mufflers. Unless you just want a loud car, your best bet is headers and a higher flowing x/h-pipe, along with stock mufflers. The '03 Cobra will be the exception, however, as Ford had to meet noise regulations with a supercharged engine.

Cool pic, BTW.

Randy

·
Registered
180 Posts
wow, you'd think they would at least perforate the inlet tube in the very last chamber, to allow peak flow to transfer to the exit tube. Under part throttle, most of the air would follow the path of least resistance, and flow through all the chambers, but when pressures rise, the excess pressure would relieve to the outlet, while still blocking the majority of the noise.

Well, kind of like a Super Turbo muffler, I guess.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Yeah...like Randy said...My experience on the dyno, and from watching a lot of other cars dyno at Lamotta's, is that there's not much point in changing out the stock catback as long as you're still running even more restrictive parts upstream. I used the stock catback with Bassain X/cats, and shorty headers all the the way to 400 RW, and didn't pick up much when switched to 2 1/2" catback.
I know all you guys think differently, but picking up 5-10 hp with a catback or muffler change on a dyno at max RPM on a near stock car, does not mean you picked up HP in the RPM range where it matters, and any gains you see could just have easily come from the ambient temps being 10 degrees less, or AF being slightly more lean from slight air flow pickup.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That photo is pretty much an example of the use of tuning tubes and 1 louver tube for flow.
Walker mufflers typicaly use the 3 louver tube and 1 tuning tube design and the tuning tube is usually 1 to 2 inch diameter.....but then again you are talking about Walker/Dynomax/Chrysler.
Why do I know this? Because I built the suckers for 12 years including the Viper and Prowler exhausts (which are hand welded 95%).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.