Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the corral, and the web, and can't find the real answer so hopefully you folks can help. I have an '00 GT 5 speed with basic bolt on's including a Bassani catted x-pipe, after the stock cast manifolds. I have tried Flowmaster, Edelbrock performer, and Dynomax Super turbo mufflers. I must be getting really old because all of them are too loud for me on the highway. I might be able to live with the super turbo's if I find out that I will lose substantial power going to a stock '01 or '02 GT catback...which I have laying around. I usually shift at 6K at the track.

What are the flow numbers on a stock '02 catback? Has anyone done a back to back comparison on the stock catback vs. some aftermarket exhaust system, with a high flow catted X for both on a 4.6L? I might be getting pretty close to 280 hp, but not much higher if that. So what do you think is the difference in hp between stock and aftermarket catback systems...since I already have a catted X?

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
the bassani kit has some inserts to quiet down the system, and makes great power. What bolt ons do you have? 280 sounds kinda high for the rear wheels with basic bolt ons.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Try spintech. They sound wicked cool and exotic. They are also quiet.
Erich

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think Sooch wants some dyno graphs of a stock GT w/stock exhaust, hi-flow X vs. stock GT w/aftermarket catback, hi-flow X

i'm also pretty interested in seeing some dyno numbers of stock GT's with several aftermarket exhausts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Liquid Magma said:
I think Sooch wants some dyno graphs of a stock GT w/stock exhaust, hi-flow X vs. stock GT w/aftermarket catback, hi-flow X

i'm also pretty interested in seeing some dyno numbers of stock GT's with several aftermarket exhausts
Well said. That would be perfect. I've been trying everything that I can, but the Bassani system I have heard...still too loud for me. I've thought about trying the Borla XS Pro since they are supposed to be quiet, but they aren't cheap either.

TrueBlue02, I am guessing at the 280 number, more than likely it is lots less. However, I am not a very good shifter with these Mustangs, and I ran a 8.61 in the 1/8th with a crappy 1.9sec 60 ft time. So, like I said...i'm probably not at 280 yet. It is what it is. Dynotuning does wonders though.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Chris-just noticed the '66 Healey. Nice! Is it a 4 or 6 cyl (or to keep it mustang tech related a 4.6)? I have a 72 MGB.
Erich

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Erich, the Healey is a 3000 MKIII...6 cylinder lump.

Not getting much on the exhaust problem. How about this guys, does anyone have some real flow numbers of the stock mufflers across different years? I thought I read that the '02s flowed more than the 99-01 did...so how much would that be?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just throwing in my untechnical feedback from lots of info I've read on the topic. I don't have any dyno numbers, but from what I hear, the small gain you get from a cat back is mostly due to the mandrel bent tubing. The mufflers are, especially for n/a apps, not a restriction. I still have the stock cat back with bassani x pipe and am happy with the sound since I spend a lot of time with the kids in the car with the top down. I have to keep it quiet. I have heard that the FRPP cat back sounds almost like stock but I'm not sure if the tubes are mandrel bent. If they are I may try that route. If not, I'll leave it stock or weld in stainless mandrel pipes to the existing mufflers. My car is stock looking and sounding and busts 13.4's all day long.

Just some other options to think of.
Marty

·
Registered
516 Posts
Not sure what data you want. I had all the mods in sig. with stock exhaust. I added a Steeda Catback (Borla). It gained 10 hp and 10 trq. Gains above 4500 rpms. I have stock headers and H-pipe.

·
Registered
263 Posts
96sled said:
The mufflers are, especially for n/a apps, not a restriction. Marty
The stock mufflers are, more or less, "super turbo" style mufflers. Do a search on here for pics of a busted open muffler or a diagram, and I think you'll agree that even if they aren't very restrive on a N/A car, there are certainly aftermarket mufflers conducive to better flow #'s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts