Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrecked my '00 GT last week, and I tried to start the motor. It turns over just fine, but I think the car has some kind of fuel shut off when in a collision. Anyhow, when I tried to start it, the starter would not engage the flywheel. It just spun. After a few tries, it screeched very loudly. It did this a few more times, and finally engaged fully and turned the motor over. I think the flywheel may be damaged. If the flywheel is damaged, I might ask the shop that is repairing my car if I can pay the difference between the price of a stock replacement flywheel and the Ford Racing Lightweight aluminum flywheel, and have them install it as part of the repair process. I wanted to know if anyone has installed one, and what they think of it? My motor is a Windsor motor, with the eight bolt crank, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My trunk lid is smashed out of shape so bad I can't get it open. I'm having it towed to the body shop tomorrow. I would have had it towed yesterday, but we had a real bad snow and ice storm, and I didn't want the tow truck to get in a wreck and further damage my car.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
An aluminum flywheel is definitely a worthwhile mod. I noticed a huge difference after installing a Spec Al flywheel, Stage 2 clutch with lightened pressure plate, and Al driveshaft. The SOTP gain was better than longtubes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may sound stupid, but what is SOTP gain?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe it's Seat Of The Pants gain.

·
Registered
952 Posts
there are some downsides to lightening the flywheel, though. for example, it makes the launches on the car a little more tricky, as (from what i hear) you have to feather the clutch more and the motor is more likely to bog down. you're gonna have to ask people that have the mod about it, but i think its not the best choice for drag racers. i may be wrong though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm into drag racing. Whatever helps lower my e.t. is what I want. So what do you drag racers say? Would this help me or hurt me?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love my aluminum flywheel. I'd recommend it to anyone......except you. If you're REALLY into drag racing, it's proven to be more difficult to launch with the aluminum flywheel. But with the aluminum flywheel, the motor spools up faster, stays up longer between shifts, and the car just feels a lot lighter on its feet. If you're specifically worried about your 1/4 mile times, go with the steel. If you want a faster car on the road, go with the aluminum.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
362 Posts
jared1970,

Heavier weight flywheels "perform" better in cars that weigh 3,200 lbs +. Reason being, is because a heavier weight car that has a lighter flywheel will not "propel or launch" the car in between shifts. More rotating weight, or inertia, is needed to push the car down the track faster.

Lighter weight flywheels work better with lighter cars. It will keep the RPM's up in between shifts, and will accelerate the car quicker. The Aluminum Flywheel will "spin/turn" quicker, and will "dramaitcally" increase the performance of the car.

Thanks,
Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts