• advance the cam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear of alot of fast cars retarding the stock cam in the 86-up 5.0s.
Question is how many degrees to move it? 2*,4*,or even 6*. I know the rule of retard upping the rpms but how much does this effect the stock cam profiles?

Im about to install ported E7s and ported intake on the 86 and wonder if it would be wise to move the cam while I have the intake off the car?

Pros/Cons?

·
Registered
35,603 Posts
In general, retarding a cam from it's designed set point shifts the power curve higher; advancing it shifts the power curve lower. It doesn't necessarily create any more or less power - just changes the rpm at which it occurs. At least that's a general rule of thumb. If your car is street driven, I don't know that it's worth the trouble to pull the water pump and front cover to change the stock cam timing. Those don't have to come off to change the heads and intake, so unless you've got some leaks to seal up, I'd leave it as it is.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
ported upper, or lower?
how much work done to the E7's?

4* retard will give you a shift point handy to 5700...
If the rest of the combo is up to it, I'd go for it.

BTW, you have an 8 second coupe and you are asking these questions?
What's up with that!?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Funny, I just signed on to investigate this exact question. I am rebuilding a stock bottom end and putting take off GT40 iron heads from a 95 Cobra and a GT40 intake on it. I am using the stock cam and 1.7 rockers. I would like to know what the optimal cam timing would be for my combo given the rest of the bolt on stuff in my sig...

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cleanLX said:
you have an 8 second coupe and you are asking these questions?
What's up with that!?
Yep asking about the best setup on factory cam. I have little to no expierence with anything stock till now LOL..

BTW The 8sec car is a stroked 557 Big Block

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both intakes ported.

E7s have been low 12s

I think Im gonna stay straightup with cam at this point anyways.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the answer more than likely is going to be related to your gear choice....unless you are running DEEP gears like the factory stock guys than your probably better off running it straight up. 4:56's = retard it.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
JoeDirte said:
I'm putting ported E7's and ported intake on a 1987 and I'm going to other way with cam timing :eek:
Why?

satx said:
the answer more than likely is going to be related to your gear choice....unless you are running DEEP gears like the factory stock guys than your probably better off running it straight up. 4:56's = retard it.
worked stock stuff usually will run 109mph+/- in the 1/4.
worked stock stuff usually likes to be shifted handy 5600rpm.
stock cam does not like 5600... retarded stock cam does.
5800rpm(200 over shift point) and 109mph = 4.10 gears.
factory stock is a bad example... don't get the corraler's started on that one, they are amazing yes, but far from stock.

·
Registered
795 Posts
cleanLX said:
Why?

worked stock stuff usually will run 109mph+/- in the 1/4.
worked stock stuff usually likes to be shifted handy 5600rpm.
stock cam does not like 5600... retarded stock cam does.
5800rpm(200 over shift point) and 109mph = 4.10 gears.
factory stock is a bad example... don't get the corraler's started on that one, they are amazing yes, but far from stock.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Ok einstein.. Tell me why my car traps better and et's better when shifted at almost 6000 with the STOCK CAM IN STRAIGHT up... If i shift at 5500 or thereabouts it slows et and mph???(don't get me wrong it does not make sense to me either.. but then again it has a best of 11.37 with a 358lb driver in the seat with a AODE still in the tunnel)

BigT

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not to secret....

I will make it short - check out my profile on the bottom... with your set up - Retard 4 degrees...period. Unless you are NOT running gear. If 3.73's or higher....definitely retard the cam. WIth the better breating intake and heads you will put the higher RPM's to good use !

Drive it like you stole it !!:evil:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
BIGTONY26 said:
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Ok einstein.. Tell me why my car traps better and et's better when shifted at almost 6000 with the STOCK CAM IN STRAIGHT up... If i shift at 5500 or thereabouts it slows et and mph???(don't get me wrong it does not make sense to me either.. but then again it has a best of 11.37 with a 358lb driver in the seat with a AODE still in the tunnel)

BigT
Be nice.
I said usually, not, this is an absolute rule.

First off, you are running afr165's and a cobra intake and atmosphere in a bottle, not really the same combo as worked stock stuff run N/A... agree? Hard to compare really.

Secondly, have you ever retarded your stock cam to see if you pick up or slow down?

Now, as a comparisson, a friend of mine ran an absolutly stock motor'd car to 13.3's N/A shifting at 5200 rpm, then add'd some bottled atmosphere and aftermarket springs and swore the best shift points were 6000... He ran deep into the 11's like that so who was I to argue? Now, is that to say the stock cam heads and intake like a 6000rpm shift point, no, it's just saying the N2O adds another parameter to the whole mix.

I'm no "einstein", and I know next to nothing about N20, but I know that it likes different valve timing events than N/A, and I know that for a worked stock motor, running N/A, retarding the stock cam is benificial in supporting the rpms where this stuff likes to make power.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, I was just down in the shop working on the new motor and I installed the stock cam with 2 degrees retard. I think it is the better choice given what I am putting together. Just to daydream, I have a stock rebuilt bottom end, GT40 irons (untouched take offs from a 95 cobra), GT40 intake (unported), stock cam retarded 2 degrees with 1.7 rockers, longtubes, 76 mm C&L mass air, and the other stuff in my sig. What kind of mph can I expect to trap at?

·
Registered
35,603 Posts
Geez BigT - you seem upset - what's up with that? Not sure why you'd compare your car on the juice to a normally aspirated one even though both have the stock cam. It's apples and oranges. I guess the good news is that it looks like your car's got the potential to get into the 10's -- but I think you've gotta convince the driver to lay off the Big Macs.

·
Registered
795 Posts
cleanLX said:
Be nice.
I said usually, not, this is an absolute rule.

First off, you are running afr165's and a cobra intake and atmosphere in a bottle, not really the same combo as worked stock stuff run N/A... agree? Hard to compare really.

Secondly, have you ever retarded your stock cam to see if you pick up or slow down?

Now, as a comparisson, a friend of mine ran an absolutly stock motor'd car to 13.3's N/A shifting at 5200 rpm, then add'd some bottled atmosphere and aftermarket springs and swore the best shift points were 6000... He ran deep into the 11's like that so who was I to argue? Now, is that to say the stock cam heads and intake like a 6000rpm shift point, no, it's just saying the N2O adds another parameter to the whole mix.

I'm no "einstein", and I know next to nothing about N20, but I know that it likes different valve timing events than N/A, and I know that for a worked stock motor, running N/A, retarding the stock cam is benificial in supporting the rpms where this stuff likes to make power.

Have a nice day.
Actually i was trying to be a smar azz..:evil: Not being mean.. just showing what mine does..

BUT ,, read the post i made again.. IT ETS AND MPH'S BETTER NATURALLY ASPIRATED OR on the bottle.. Either way.. Does not make sense to me but it is the truth.. Want to get on chassis dyno again to see where it peaks at.. Before i got my jms chip to get rid of the factory 5500 rpm rev limiter (aode only) i dynoed and it was still climbing at 5500 when the rev limiter kicked in

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Turkey!
You nearly got me wound up! hahaha.

Hey, do us all a favour...
Make some pulls, then retard the cam and make some more...

Common, Mr. Speed Shop owner... you can write it off can't you? :). Nothing to loose...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Michael Yount said:
Geez BigT - you seem upset - what's up with that? Not sure why you'd compare your car on the juice to a normally aspirated one even though both have the stock cam. It's apples and oranges. I guess the good news is that it looks like your car's got the potential to get into the 10's -- but I think you've gotta convince the driver to lay off the Big Macs.
Well actually the driver has laid off the big macs.. 2 years ago i weighed in at 443... At 6 ft 8 i am a pretty big guy no matter what i do :joy:

Maybe my comment came out wrong compared to how i wanted it to.. I am a bit of a smart azz and it was not intended to sound like i was upset.. ANYHOW.. I think it runs pretty good on motor too for a stock cammed aode car.. Keep in mind the convertor is WAY to tight on motor as it only cuts 1.9? sixty foots.. but still runs decent with me and good in the 12's with wife driving.. I am planning on loosening it and ditching the shorties for some long tubes and go hunting that 10..

:evil: :evil:

·
Registered
612 Posts
A little more fuel for the fire. Stock cam, TW heads, ported Cobra intake, 1.7 rockers, 19lber's, 3.73's:
12.51 at 109.45mph on a 1.77 60ft. Shifting at 6k for 2nd, 5800 for third, 5700 for 4th. Any lower shifts and it woud lose mph.
:evil:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts