Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I'm virgin to this forum and not much of a mechanic. My situation is this: Have an '88 GT stock except for the "B" super chip, K&N air filter and Flowmasters. It is not a daily driver anymore but is extremely well taken care of, dependable, and runs like new. I' would very much like to keep it that way. Several years ago before retiring it as primary transportation (120,000 miles) the emissions test guy said it had the emissions of a "Brand new Honda." What I'm wanting to do is give it a really impressive, nasty lope. Don't really care about gas mileage, racing too much or big horsepower. I want it too sound really good. I know, if you can't back it up with speed why bother, but don't really hot rod a whole lot. I have 2 kids now so all of this is on a budget and I already plan on replacing the Air Density with a MAF kit. I've been told the E-303 cam is what i'm looking for. From reading the forum, 1.07 springs might be in order for this also. Really scared about having to have the cam bearings replaced, different heads or intake altered, is this expensive and tricky? What other items are absolute musts to keep this ride dependable. Appreciate any feedback you guys might have. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Replacing the heads, intake, gears, and/or exhaust will likely serve performance better than the cam you are contemplating. The lopey cam will be an impediment to your performance if you leave all else stock. Your stock cam is quite adaquate. I recommend rethinking your choice of mods. You will need to remove the upper and lower intake as well as all the lifters and rockers to replace the cam. That job is more ambitious than most of the bolt-ons you stated a concern about. Also, switching to MAF is expensive and unnecessary for performance improvement. Reconsider, please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were to go ahead and start the hop up utilizing the necessary mods, i.e. intake, heads, etc. what kind of price tag am I looking at? Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
FI intakes are very expensive ($400. and up) or you can have TMoss port your lower for about $100. His work has a proven track record. New heads begin at about $400. for GT40P's and go up from there with $1200. being about the usual price for aluminium. Throttle body is about $200. Check out the Summit site. They have a special section for 5.0 Mustangs. Our cars are an industry in themselves. Of course, you can do things very cheaply. I bought a bad Explorer engine for $250. and took all my performance parts from that. I ported the heads myself, but that is part of the learning experience. The P heads made an incredible difference in my car's performance.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I forgot, you can also port your stock E7 heads or have someone else do it. If your goal is to run 12's, you can get there for far less money: TMoss intake, Thumper heads ($500.) headers, $160. gears ($200). Headwork produces the biggest change in performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts