Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
681 Posts
I am talking 1/8th mile. If a 4.2X doesn’t impress you with a 347ci engine, I’d hate to see what does. Especially on a simple in-line valved hi port deal and on a small tire nonetheless.
Im not sure that person has ever been to the drag strip. 4.2x is INSANELY fast in the 1/8 especially for those cubes.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Fwiw a friend of mine races in 275x class. He has a 400ci sbf with single turbo. Car runs 4.20 I believe. At race weight is 1900-2000hp. I don't care what anyone says, that's impressive lol.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
For you Cleveland types, AFR told Tobias today that they're going to do two new Cleveland heads. One is raised runner....I forgot what the other one was.
That's interesting. Keep an ear out for any details for me please. I'd like a properly checked/built, and ported small(220cc) Speedmaster head, for a .020 over Cleveland, for my 1973 Ranchero. I want a high rpm 351 that has smaller ports than 4V's, better than typical bottom rpm power.

I'd like to see AFR make one that either straightens out the intake port design(like Edelbrock did(but they don't flow enough)), or similar to the old 1969 TransAm heads which were smaller with slightly higher ports.

Reactions: SS BRP

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's interesting. Keep an ear out for any details for me please. I'd like a properly checked/built, and ported small(220cc) Speedmaster head, for a .020 over Cleveland, for my 1973 Ranchero. I want a high rpm 351 that has smaller ports than 4V's, better than typical bottom rpm power.

I'd like to see AFR make one that either straightens out the intake port design(like Edelbrock did(but they don't flow enough)), or similar to the old 1969 TransAm heads which were smaller with slightly higher ports.
i always thought the same thing,edelbrock ports look good but the only flow like 250ish cfms

·
Registered
418 Posts
Fwiw a friend of mine races in 275x class. He has a 400ci sbf with single turbo. Car runs 4.20 I believe. At race weight is 1900-2000hp. I don't care what anyone says, that's impressive lol.
Guys, see what I mean...

Literally everyone has one. Just go ask their grandma.

Now that we've been doing the turbo 2000hp 275x tiny tim tire class for 15 years, let's try it N/A.

Running 4.20 N/A with a Ford based engine in the parking lot length 1/8th mile would literally be impressive.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Guys, see what I mean...

Literally everyone has one. Just go ask their grandma.

Now that we've been doing the turbo 2000hp 275x tiny tim tire class for 15 years, let's try it N/A.

Running 4.20 N/A with a Ford based engine in the parking lot length 1/8th mile would literally be impressive.
Interesting but you first. 😎

·
Registered
681 Posts
For you Cleveland types, AFR told Tobias today that they're going to do two new Cleveland heads. One is raised runner....I forgot what the other one was.
He was close enough to me I could’ve high fived him. But I was battling an impossibly greasy block.

·
Old timer
6,411 Posts
For the love of God, stop posting these BoobTube celebrities and their moronic videos!

That douche nozzle's camshaft selection video is as backwards and incorrect as the socket porter's diatribes of stupidity.

• Haha
Reactions: tmoss and CDW6212R

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm likely dating myself but depending on the year of the block it was my understanding an older seasoned 351W block limit is around 500HP depending on driving. Years back Ford had the upgraded Ford Racing Sportsman Block that was good to 700....equivalent to the Dart. I had that in a Cobra replica making low 600's on 100 shot without a hitch for 11 yrs. Now I believe Ford calls it the Ford Racing Boss. Ford Tech would no doubt explain the differences especially if you have the casting # .1-800-367-3788. But unless yours is a Sportsman they might advise a typically older seasoned 351W block might not meet your standards..

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,060 Posts
I'm likely dating myself but depending on the year of the block it was my understanding an older seasoned 351W block limit is around 500HP depending on driving. Years back Ford had the upgraded Ford Racing Sportsman Block that was good to 700....equivalent to the Dart. I had that in a Cobra replica making low 600's on 100 shot without a hitch for 11 yrs. Now I believe Ford calls it the Ford Racing Boss. Ford Tech would no doubt explain the differences especially if you have the casting # .1-800-367-3788. But unless yours is a Sportsman they might advise a typically older seasoned 351W block might not meet your standards..
The 69 and 70 have the most metal due to the need way they poured the castings. After that they adjusted the casting (something to do with the how they poured it) if allowed them to use less metal. I found a video last year that covered all this in great detail. There are a gazillion vids and forum posts over the decades. There is no clear cut point.

Many stock rod failures start to show up around 700 ish horsepower and 800 ish horsepower is when you start to see block failures as the bearings start to walk. Obviously great balancing and use of main studs, forged rotating parts will help but if someone wants much north of 800 Hp my advice is go aftermarket block.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The early blocks go WAY higher than that.
You are also wrong about the Dart block as well.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts