Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Because 99% of the customer market is comprised of power adders and 400-600hp naturally aspirated builds and the added costs and headaches for the avg hobbyist diminish the cleveland head almost entirely. When you can take a 240 hi port, super vic and a big turbo on a 427 and run 4.60s, thats why.
Ain’t this the truth. There’s a notch running a set of high ports on a 347 which has been 4.20s and under.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Because 99% of the customer market is comprised of power adders and 400-600hp naturally aspirated builds and the added costs and headaches for the avg hobbyist diminish the cleveland head almost entirely. When you can take a 240 hi port, super vic and a big turbo on a 427 and run 4.60s, thats why.
i'm in the1% that does the cleveland stuff... these ppl should definitely listen to yall... the cleveland stuff has a certain cool factor that amounts to NOTHING... it's costly, hard to find parts for at times, queer as a 3 dollar build, and if something happens at the track on a 2 or 3 day race there is NO way to get replacement parts from just anywhere. pack up and go home and cut your race weekend short.

to run fast, get you a cookie cutter engine that uses great off the shelf parts that are designed for what you wanna do. slap on that BOOST... get some great tunes... and go enjoy.... yes the super fast 1%ers will have all one off or queer combos they have worked on for years and have spare parts for... your not them! KISS Keep It Simple Stupid.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes untouched salvage yard 92 van motor. Ran 10.90 stock long block. Ran 9.50 with a 500 lift cam and gt40p heads. Then tfs 170 heads and 560 lift cam to get to 8.90.

I also saw in another thread. The block can crack in the motor mount area when going faster than 1.3 60ft times.

You asked for limits.
Impressive! How much did it weigh? What fuel were you using?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Boosted I assume
Yes, I believe a forced inductions single on it, somewhat good size. It’s technically a no time car, but I know it’s been in the teens.
If it's boosted it's 100% not impressive. Everyone and their grandma is doing that these days. I want to see some fast N/A times.
Lol, I’d like to see anyone do better. Most people will never run low 4s, or even anywhere close. Let’s be honest, you can spend stupid money and try to move mountains n/a - just to run slower, or spend far less and do it boosted. It’s just cost prohibitive to do it in a competitive car.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,060 Posts
If it's boosted it's 100% not impressive. Everyone and their grandma is doing that these days. I want to see some fast N/A times.
Well I had a 347 using AFR165s and and made over 400 rwhp to the wheels. For the same money I spent on that build had I gone with boost I could have had 500 to the wheel. For most of us hobbyists the ROI of max effort N/A motors isn't there.

Reactions: sn95gts331

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lol, I’d like to see anyone do better. Most people will never run low 4s, or even anywhere close. Let’s be honest, you can spend stupid money and try to move mountains n/a - just to run slower, or spend far less and do it boosted. It’s just cost prohibitive to do it in a competitive car.
While that is true for the most part, we have seen it before with boosted cars. At least the new GT500 runs high 8's in the quarter mile with a relatively small amount of mods that will make the average builder cry compared to what they spent on their own car in mods.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well I had a 347 using AFR165s and and made over 400 rwhp to the wheels. For the same money I spent on that build had I gone with boost I could have had 500 to the wheel. For most of us hobbyists the ROI of max effort N/A motors isn't there.
Nice, 400 rear wheel horsepower with tiny AFR 165's is impressive N/A, but you are correct that it's expensive. I think boost might be in my future if the economy doesn't collapse and the communist regime doesn't keep banning the car hobby.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,060 Posts
Nice, 400 rear wheel horsepower with tiny AFR 165's is impressive N/A, but you are correct that it's expensive. I think boost might be in my future if the economy doesn't collapse and the communist regime doesn't keep banning the car hobby.
Made the power I wanted but with the big cam and high compression wasn't very fun driving on the street. I got it in the mid 11s but had clutch issues that I never resolved and car would not 60 ft. Swapping back to a built AOD and going with a Vortech on my 351W stroker. On a SBF going boosted makes total sense. If only I could go back 12 years ago when I bought the car good grief how I would do things different. HCI combo on a Dart block 8.2 with a Vortech and call it a day....

Reactions: sn95gts331

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Made the power I wanted but with the big cam and high compression wasn't very fun driving on the street. I got it in the mid 11s but had clutch issues that I never resolved and car would not 60 ft. Swapping back to a built AOD and going with a Vortech on my 351W stroker. On a SBF going boosted makes total sense. If only I could go back 12 years ago when I bought the car good grief how I would do things different. HCI combo on a Dart block 8.2 with a Vortech and call it a day....

At the end of the day, you wish you had kept it simple then huh?

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,060 Posts
At the end of the day, you wish you had kept it simple then huh?
Oh yeah, wasted so much money. I like working on my car but it gets out of control quickly. I see many posts claiming 351W swaps are simple and cheap to do. Nope.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Oh yeah, wasted so much money. I like working on my car but it gets out of control quickly. I see many posts claiming 351W swaps are simple and cheap to do. Nope.
They are… on 2 conditions! 1) you do all the work yourself. 2) you dont care so much about performance as you do just having a 351W engine in the car. You can buy a 351w truck engine and just slap it in and consider it a “cheap engine swap” but if you want anything fast, then you are correct, its not at ALL cheap and you’re better off stroking your 302.
But I appreciate you telling me that, my car is relatively stock so its good to hear that simple in the long run will be better. My friend has a 408, I helped him do the swap years ago. There was a lot of swearing, not a lot of money at first but then he pulled up the Summit home page and it was all down hill from there.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,060 Posts
They are… on 2 conditions! 1) you do all the work yourself. 2) you dont care so much about performance as you do just having a 351W engine in the car. You can buy a 351w truck engine and just slap it in and consider it a “cheap engine swap” but if you want anything fast, then you are correct, its not at ALL cheap and you’re better off stroking your 302.
But I appreciate you telling me that, my car is relatively stock so its good to hear that simple in the long run will be better. My friend has a 408, I helped him do the swap years ago. There was a lot of swearing, not a lot of money at first but then he pulled up the Summit home page and it was all down hill from there.
Sure if you just want to swap in a truck 351W the motor is cheap but there is still plenty to sort out including hood clearance.
Not complaining just think it's a disservice to tell people it's a basic swap. Whole list of items needed to go 351W even if you have a long block out of a truck or boat.

Not so funny part is I'm doing a stock block and expect at some point I'll be doing a Dart short block down the road. At least by then I'll have everything else.

Reactions: SS BRP

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I've been thinking 4's were 8th mile the whole time. For sure 1/4's miles is impressive any way you look at it.
I am talking 1/8th mile. If a 4.2X doesn’t impress you with a 347ci engine, I’d hate to see what does. Especially on a simple in-line valved hi port deal and on a small tire nonetheless.

Reactions: SS BRP
21 - 40 of 77 Posts