Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been asked probably a hundred times, but what is the widest I can go on the stock 16" wheels front and back without deleting the quad shocks....Thanx DREW...

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have 245/50-16's out back on my stock (bad weather) rims. No problem at all, could probably go much bigger.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
245 may be no problem in terms of looks but is a b1tch to mount. I just about f'd up a bead on one of mine. I'd say you'd be hard pressed to get a fatter tire on the stock 16" rims. But the 245's look so much better :D Got 0.2 off my 60' with em too :)

-Dale

·
Registered
814 Posts
FastGT94 said:
245 may be no problem in terms of looks but is a b1tch to mount. I just about f'd up a bead on one of mine. I'd say you'd be hard pressed to get a fatter tire on the stock 16" rims. But the 245's look so much better :D Got 0.2 off my 60' with em too :)

-Dale
What kind of tire are you running, and what are you mounting them with?

I did it with whatever mounting machine Sears was using in the Fall of 2002. Can't say that it was any harder to do compared to the stockers...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had 255/50/16s on mine and they were pushing it. I had to play with the tire pressure to get a good contact patch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have 255/50/16's also. they look awsome i might add.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just went to Discount Tire and got 4 Phantom ZRX 245/50/ZR/16 for $55 each. I love these tires. I had them on my 1997 Z28 Automatic and got consistant 2.0 60ft times on a basicly stock car. I hope to go to the track this Sunday with the Mustang. I now have new tires, MAC O/R H-Pipe, MAC 2.5" pro dump exhaust, MAC underdrive pulleys, and MAC fenderwell cold air.

The tires ride nice and perform great on dry and wet roads.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had the 255 phantom zrx with out any problem at all in the back

now I just got the M&H racemaster DOT slick. its a 305/40/16 and fits easily. but my tail pipes are welded at a different angle for more clearance. they used to rum under WOT on the 255s

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 255-50-16s on the back of mine right now they look really good, have had no probs with them

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I was working at Firestone at the time so I dunno what machine they had. I just remember it being a tight fit is all :D
-Dale

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The sizes we're referring to are limited by the width of the rims, not the location of the tires. 255 seeming to be the widest.
The 245's I have rub a small bit on the splash shield at full lock but otherwise fit great.

-Dale

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I ran the 255/50/16 on the back only. They matched up with the 225/55/16 on the front.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Anyone run 255/50R16's on all four corners?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts