Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed for a while that every so often the clutch pedal gets also stuck when releasing it. Almost like it's bound up somewhere along the line. This would just happen every so often and not under any particular conditions.

Then this week I got on the car hard shifting 2-3 and 3-4 hard and fast then got out of the gas and put the car in neutral to coast. When I let the clutch out it stayed on the floor. I hit the pedal a few times and it came back but when it released you could feel it coming out like it was catching on something every couple centimeters. I've tried to duplicate the incident and it only happens if I shift fast otherwise the pedal feel is perfectly fine. So any ideas what the problem is?

I now have 80K miles on the car and over 600 passes on it so I'm wondering if the inside of the clutch cable is wearing out or maybe sticking on the inside. I checked the outside of the cable and it wasn't bound up anywhere or pinched. I'm using a centerforce DF disk and FRPP heavy duty pressure plate both are a 14 months old and grips like day one.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Bill,

do you have an aftermarket quadrant? If not, get one.

Then look into replacing the cable, they suck from the factory, and you are probbably due for a new one.

Other than these two things, I don't see any mystery area that could be hanging up.

joe

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mustang92 said:
I've noticed for a while that every so often the clutch pedal gets also stuck when releasing it. Almost like it's bound up somewhere along the line. This would just happen every so often and not under any particular conditions.

Then this week I got on the car hard shifting 2-3 and 3-4 hard and fast then got out of the gas and put the car in neutral to coast. When I let the clutch out it stayed on the floor. I hit the pedal a few times and it came back but when it released you could feel it coming out like it was catching on something every couple centimeters. I've tried to duplicate the incident and it only happens if I shift fast otherwise the pedal feel is perfectly fine. So any ideas what the problem is?

I now have 80K miles on the car and over 600 passes on it so I'm wondering if the inside of the clutch cable is wearing out or maybe sticking on the inside. I checked the outside of the cable and it wasn't bound up anywhere or pinched. I'm using a centerforce DF disk and FRPP heavy duty pressure plate both are a 14 months old and grips like day one.

Thanks,

Bill
Yup, I'd say cable or quadrant. Sounds like some of the plastic cable sheathing or metal filings are gumming up the cable inside the cable sheath. That's where I would start, barring any issues with the clutch fork or pressure plate.

If you're going to replace the cable, have you considered installing a mechanical clutch stop on your pedal? I've heard that a clutch stop will help eliminate cable stretch for hardcore drag racers like you ;)

Please post when you find the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'm stilling running the stock cable an quadrant. If it's the problem or not it's time to replace them.

Bill

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case anyone was curious the problem was the clutch cable. I couldn't see where it had failed but it was definately the problem. I put the new one in and stalled the car twice driving around the nieghborhood I'm not used to it releasing so quick now.

Bill

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well another update to my saga the cable wasn't the problem. It seemed to help however the car left me stranded again. I figured with everything replaced it had to be the pressure plate but today that car got torn down and the throw out bearing was in about 20 pieces. Aparently it siezed and shattered somehow. The clutch and pressure plate were perfectly fine but since I ordered a SPEC stage 3 set up anyways it will now be my spare.

Bill

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mustang92 said:
Well another update to my saga the cable wasn't the problem. It seemed to help however the car left me stranded again. I figured with everything replaced it had to be the pressure plate but today that car got torn down and the throw out bearing was in about 20 pieces. Aparently it siezed and shattered somehow. The clutch and pressure plate were perfectly fine but since I ordered a SPEC stage 3 set up anyways it will now be my spare.

Bill
Thanks for the update. The SPEC 3 is adjustable, right? Is that the big difference between your centerforce dual setup?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it's not an adjustable clutch just a new one to replace what I thought was a bad pressure plate.

Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the update mustang92.

I just ordered a HD throw out bearing for setup. I hope this fixes my problem also. I had the exact same thing happen that you described. My problems occured at the drag track during a hard launch.

Dave Hart

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car Bill.Let us know how the stage 3 performs I have the stage2 teflon, I believe, it grabs like crazy and most people that have driven the car stall frequently until they get used to it.In the cold the clutch is a little bumpyor notchy(I guess thats a good way to describe it)but smooth as the temp rises. Did you get the teflon or the metal material clutch surface.The stage3 is the pucklike design isnt it?The teflon they use grips like a mofo.
They told me the stage2 would last longer but the stage3 would grip more and be more notchy so I went with the 2.When this goes out I might get a stage3.Let me know how it reacts and grips.THANKX
JOEL

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vetkilr, the disk material I got is a carbon material I believe and yes it's a four puck design. I since I've only driven it for half a day it's hard to say but it seemed to engage the same cold or warm. It has some chatter from first but should go away after it's worn in. It does grip very nice, I love it. In fact my centerfoce was similair to it for the first 1000 miles then got a little softer as time went but always worked great at the track.

I won't have any track experiences with this clutch till after Gainesville FFW in June. Local track is closing after tonight for two weeks.

Bill

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bill break the clutch in good,then break off some good times at Gainsville.I ask you again after then.Im off to Hilton head for a few....
JOEL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts