Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ordered the Standard rotation water pump from them, since I eliminated my PS and AC. I wanted to run a STD rotation pump so the belt routing would clean:)

BAD NEWS!!! After the car was put back together I noticed that it was running HOT. I brought it home and checked EVERYTHING it came down to look like the H2O pump.

Just for the hell of it I routed the belt another way to spin the pump in a reverse (counterclockwise) rotation.
Well in behold It ran perfect at a constant 180*.

I called jack at Stewart and he said it couldn't be the pump, because there STD and Reverse rotation pumps are exactly the same as far as impellar. So it should work BOTH ways???

He INSISTED that it was NOT the pump, so I should try it again. Maybe I had a air bubble. So I went home and did it, BAD MOVE trying to get home after routing it to spin STD (clockwise) rotation the temp climbed up to the 250* mark on my Autometer gauge. And sure enough it started running rough.

YUP I BLEW A BRAND NEW HEAD GASKET :mad: :mad:

I had just put this motor together.

I went through hell to even get a new pump to try to use from STEWART. After I finally talked them into sending me a NEW STD Rotation pump, I found out the Head Gasket was shot.

So now the motor is apart again, not even 25 miles on it :mad:

So today I get the NEW pump, and he is right as far as the impellars looking EXACTLY the same for the so called STD and Reverse rotation??????

So I am SOOOOOO confused as to WHY this pump caused my motor to overheat and blow a head gasket spinning in STD rotation????

Anyone else ever notice the impellar design???????

Any input???
Maybe I should return both these Stewarts and buy a $16 STK replacement?? Since I have to run the belt the other way anyway to get the STEWART pump to work???

Could the pump be BAD???
Any Input??
Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~~

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stewart h2o pump...

I Had a Stewart and blew 3 back plate gaskets in one day! The impeller on the standard rotation was certainly different then my reverse rotationstock pump! Good luck, Jason

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the stock impellar is definetly different in design.

Maybe I should just get the stock pump and save the $$??

LOBE
~~~~

·
Registered
713 Posts
i really cant remember havent thought about this in a long time.
i had a stewart and i ordered the rotation that i wanted.
i never heard that one worked both ways, ive heard the excact
opposite.
either way when i had my stewart and now im using stock replacement the rotation is the same as it was before.
im thinking stock is counter clockwise, maybe someone can remember. sorry cant help much

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm running a Stewart standard rotation pump. I ordered it off the Stewart website. I had to swap on a newer backing plate off of a reverse rotation pump to mate up with my front cover. Works great.

That sucks you're having problems with them. I never had to deal with their customer service.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm running a standard rotation stewart pump too. Only problem was that it came with the old style backing plate so I had to re use my old rusty stock one. After 1 year and 2 blown backing plate gaskets, I called Stewart and they sent me a new backing plate free of charge (not even shipping). But I won't use the stewart pump gaskets anymore, only Fel Pro for me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dont know what all youhave done to your car but I would definately check those heads for warpage now,, otherwise another heagasket will blow again if you put it back together,, specially with aluminum heads.

Brad

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are the stock steel heads, milled .040.
I didn't run it very long while it was that hot, so I think I am ok as far as warpage with the iron heads.

So confused?????
LOBE
~~~~~

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 393 with a stewart water pump, but i have all the excessories from my 302 on it... i also spoke to stewart about the rotation and was told that they are the same. So i ditched the smog pump and changed the rotation... never had a problem.

Maybe you put the head gasket in backwards? (not slamming, everyone makes mistakes)

Weird.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matt, No insult taken :0

I have the heads and gaskets here in front of me and they are on correct.

Although I noticed that some of the holes in the gasket (felpro 1011-1) do not line up with anything?????

Any ideas???

Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts