Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to purchase an aftermarket (Grant) steering wheel from Pep Boys yesterday, and they said there isn't an application for my car. Is it because the car has an airbag, or is the steering column physically different (i.e. more/less splines). I've seen plenty of 87-92's with new steering wheels, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the shafts should be the same right?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you dont want to have an airbag/cruise-control on the wheel, then you can use an aftermarket wheel. All it is is one main center bolt than holds the wheel on. You may need some type of adapter to attach to the new wheel to slip over the column shaft.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, we just got a Grant wheel. Had to use an adapter (79-91 PN3280). The fitment of the adapter to the shaft was fine. Now we have this big gap between the trim piece and the plastic trim of the column. Also, we are going to have to "jury rig" a way for the horn to work, but that's a simple wiring prob. And yes, it had an airbag plus cruise, well, not no more. (He wanted it) It used to have two airbags when his GF would ride with him.:eek:

Anyways, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have the grang gt ralley wheel on mine because it gives me some more room to get in and out with the side bars of my 6pt in...oh and it was free

Sounds like you didn't get the horn contact plate installed corectly?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We'll be going back into it today. I think I figured out how. Last night putting the stuff in and reading the directions, it looked as though we wouldn't need the plates. WHAT WAS I THINKING?????? Anyway, we have to get another adapter (to cover that huge gap in between the steering column and the plastic shell surround. Any thoughts on part numbers for that piece?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts