Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a 5-speed swap and looking for a flywheel.
What should I get. I have heard that alum revs faster, but steel gives better 60 ft times. I need all the help I can get. Thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
the steel one will have more weight to rotate so it will rev more slowly than an aluminum one, but if you are launching high in the revs the steel will hit harder becausae there is more weight spinning. i know some people who launch above 5000 and they got aluminum ones to get better traction on the lauch from the softer hit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The heavier steel flywheel is easier to drive on the street. You will not bog as easily, more rotational momentum with the steel flywheel. The AL flywheel will rev much quicker and is a good mod if you are planning to AutoX or open track.

·
11,079 Posts
I want to rephrase something that has already been printed, as far as 60 foot times go, since a steel flywheel weighs more it can store more energy (in the form of rotational inertia). This energy is quickly converted into velocity during the takeoff.

The flip side is, if you are plodding along in gear X and decide to mash the gas, a steel flywheel will bleed energy that could be turned into velocity, whereas an alumunim flywheel will bleed less energy, ergo gas-mashing = quicker response.

I heard a rumor ONCE that aluminum flywheels can warp. I asked extensively on the Corral and nobody has ever mentioned a warped aluminum flywheel. Still, I thought I'd let you know about the rumor.

Finally, doing a search on the corral, you will find that people with aluminum flywheels might stall once or twice when they first get the flywheel, but they revise their procedure (i.e. give it more gas and feather the clutch more deftly) and never have a problem again.

I plan to get an aluminum flywheel when it's time to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I agree with P63 when the Cobra needs a clutch, I'm getting an aluminum flywheel too.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
My opinion is this: if you race your car and its a engine thats built to rev (above 6300 or so) then you might want to seriously consider an aluminium flywheel.

If you mainly drive your car on the street, and don't enjoy downshifting everytime you require the car to get-up-and-go, stick with the steel.

One other option; you may want to consider a billit steel flywheel. I bought one (haven't tried it yet) because its SFI approved and is a few pounde lighter than the stocker. (not sure how much, but I am going to weigh both this weekend and find out for sure.

·
Registered
527 Posts
When using an aluminum flywheel, you will actually gain 60 foot times along with mile per hour.

I work for a clutch company, Quarter Master Industries, and we have just developed a new mustang clutch that weighs only 18 pounds with the aluminum flywheel. I have done testing with two NMRA drag racers and they both have gained both 60 foot times and mile per hour along with, obviously, lower ET's. I have also dyno tested befor and after installing the new lightweight clutch/flywheel to the stock one on my '95 GT and I gained 3 hp and 4 ft lbs of torque at the wheels by changing from one to the other.

The myth that heavier is better for drag racing is nothing but a myth

·
Registered
605 Posts
Read the new issur of MM&FF. There is a thorough examination of this debate by side by side testing published this month. I won't try to expound on it but it appeared to me that the steel was only better in a very narrow area of the testing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I checked with SPEC clutches and they also said the alum. helped to dampen some too. They have flywheels for $319 so I think I will go that route.
Thanks again.

Now I just need to find a good clutch.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
jaw773 said:
When using an aluminum flywheel, you will actually gain 60 foot times along with mile per hour.

I work for a clutch company, Quarter Master Industries, and we have just developed a new mustang clutch that weighs only 18 pounds with the aluminum flywheel. I have done testing with two NMRA drag racers and they both have gained both 60 foot times and mile per hour along with, obviously, lower ET's.
You failed to mention what level of modifications these engines/cars have.

I would bet that a mildly modded or bolt-on car would perform better with a steel while maintaining better around town driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts