Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but no dice. My car needs alignment due to crooked steering wheel from poor alignment last time. Since it needs an alilgnment I'm considering the Steeda x2 balljoints and bumpsteer kit. My car is only street use. I have offset rack bushings. Steeda says I need to align car after balljoint installation.

1) Will the balljoints really improve the steering gerometry as advertised by Steeda?

2) If I only get the x2 and not the bump steer kit will there be any adverse consequences?

3) If I add the bump steer kit later, will the car required be aligned agains.

Thank you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
thoughts on the X2's, FWIW...

with inboard springs, the X2's should lower the car, and lower the roll center by an IDENTICAL amount, which is good - this is different than when you lower the car by changing springs, in which case the roll center goes lower by MORE, which is not good.

with coil-overs, the X2's should not do anything to ride height, but should raise roll center - an improvement!

so with either spring type, the X2's appear to be good for roll center, and probably camber too.

i'm not sure, but i suspect that with either spring type, bump steer gets worse with X2's, since the steering arm is moving farther away from the ball joint pivot. so a bump steep kit should be used.

i'm also thinking about a set of these, and the above is what i THINK i've figured out about them - if i'm wrong anywhere, PLEASE let me know!

·
Registered
366 Posts
blu93gt,

You are correct, but there is one additional piece of information. The X2 balljoint kit includes spacers for the springs. You have a choice at installation of either lowering the car without lowering the roll center, or if you install the spacers the ride height will stay the same but the roll center will be raised.

I have further comments about the balljoint kit at http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=229580

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
techguy said:
blu93gt,

You are correct, but there is one additional piece of information. The X2 balljoint kit includes spacers for the springs. You have a choice at installation of either lowering the car without lowering the roll center, or if you install the spacers the ride height will stay the same but the roll center will be raised.

I have further comments about the balljoint kit at http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=229580
Not to take over a thread, but I have some questions for you?

If you don't use the spacers, how much do these ball joints lower the front of a vehicle?

My 01 Cobra seems to be about 1/2" higher then any other 01 Cobra I have ever seen, now with the 00 R suspension, it is a little lower, but still not as low as some stock 01 Cobras.. I am wanting to lower the front of the vehicle approx.. "1/2 inch or less"

Just curious to know if it is possible!

Shawn

·
Registered
366 Posts
BlackSnake2001 said:
Not to take over a thread, but I have some questions for you?

If you don't use the spacers, how much do these ball joints lower the front of a vehicle?

My 01 Cobra seems to be about 1/2" higher then any other 01 Cobra I have ever seen, now with the 00 R suspension, it is a little lower, but still not as low as some stock 01 Cobras.. I am wanting to lower the front of the vehicle approx.. "1/2 inch or less"

Just curious to know if it is possible!

Shawn
Without the spacers the front of the car will come down 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dammit, just when I thought my front suspension was done.

*sigh* Well, time to order those X-2's.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
techguy said:
Without the spacers the front of the car will come down 1/2 inch.
Thanks TechGuy..

I'm ordering them right away!

Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts