Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but no dice. My car needs alignment due to crooked steering wheel from poor alignment last time. Since it needs an alilgnment I'm considering the Steeda x2 balljoints and bumpsteer kit. My car is only street use. I have offset rack bushings. Steeda says I need to align car after balljoint installation.

1) Will the balljoints really improve the steering gerometry as advertised by Steeda?

2) If I only get the x2 and not the bump steer kit will there be any adverse consequences?

3) If I add the bump steer kit later, will the car required to be aligned agains.

Thank you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
ok I just put the steeda bump steer kit on my gt. I have dropped the car almost 2in and have been driving like for almost a year and killed my tires. So I mean I just install the bump kit and its like night and day , the car pull straight now when I hit the gas instead of fishing , pulls hard !!!! But you will need to aline your car when you put either or , some say that the x2 is all you need , but I know that I do not need the x2 now that I have put the bump kit on ,,,

put it on your car you will feel the diff for sure .......

·
Registered
998 Posts
this might be a stupid ? but my car is lowered almost 2in its a 96 GT and everytime i hit a bump the car wants to jump to whatever side im turning or if i hit a bump i can actually feel it in threw the steering wheel that somethings hittin, do i need the bump steer kit or what?

·
Registered
210 Posts
YES , you need the bump steer kit , that what my car WAS doing. I mean if it would hit any oh bump it wanted to go that way. and then I could turn the wheel a little before I could feel anything ,, now all that is fixed , the kit cost 120 shipped and a very easy install !!!!

ANd mine is a 97gt that was dropped 2" , so save your tires and money and get the kit on the car ASAP !!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
NO you need caster camber plates to give you a little more suspension travel.
Also check to make sure your struts have not blown and stopped moving. My struts lasted about a year before they seized or bent and I had 0 travel on my front end.
The ride was solid not fun and s#1t for cornering changed the struts and all is well again.

Dwayne

·
Registered
210 Posts
46GTSblown

Just to let you know I have c/c plates and it did not fix my problem ,, sometimes c/c plates can fix your issue and then sometime you have to get the bump steer kit ,

what I did was look under the car and look where you adjust your toe and if it almost like a "V" just not that bad you will need to get he bump steer kit , but for the price of the kit vs getting new tires , get the kit ........

·
Registered
998 Posts
well i have steeda C/C plates and tokico 5 way struts could something be wrong with the way the C/C plates are setup but to me it defintely sounds like i need this bump steer kit any other suggestions?

·
Registered
429 Posts
to my knowledge, caster/camber plates only help caster/camber, not toe. toe is what is causing the worn out tires and i think adversly affects the bump steer issue.

the bump steer kit, and the x2's help toe out and brings the geometry closer to stock.

im sure someone with better experience with chime in...but im pretty sure this is how it all works...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
saleenmustang281

this might be a stupid ? but my car is lowered almost 2in its a 96 GT and everytime i hit a bump the car wants to jump to whatever side im turning or if i hit a bump i can actually feel it in threw the steering wheel that somethings hittin, do i need the bump steer kit or what
This is the post I think needed CC plates. It sounds like he is bottoming out and needs more suspension travel.
As far as the toe issue an alignment will fix that with or without the bumpsteer kit or special ball joints.
I am not going to get into the ins and outs of the front end travel with changing geometery as you go through a bump it is more than I want to go through right now.

Dwayne

·
Registered
210 Posts
see I have been fighting this problem for a while ,, I put the c/c plates on right away and it did not help anything . Now I have a friend that has his stang dropped and all he needed was the c/c plates( but his tires are wearing a little to fast on the inside but he won't listen) ... I have had the car aline many many times and it never fixed the issue just took my money ,,, now that I have these on I have to learn to drive the car again because it response so much better........

I never say this online but trust me , I have really been there and done that and I only wish I would have put the bump steer kit on a longtime ago ,, now for the x2 don't know about them never used them , but from my set up now I have no need for them!

·
Registered
312 Posts
You guys all sound surprised that the bump stops do so much. Read Steeda's info on their website. I don't know much of anything about anything but I could tell you that you can't just throw a set of drop springs under your car and maybe some new shocks/struts and not have trouble. On steeda's site is says their sport springs (or any for that matter) need to be used in conjuction with c/c plates, x2 joints, and bump stops.
I have learned that before you start tearing stuff apart, you should take some time and read up on the effects of modifying your vehicle so that you can do it properly and not spend a bunch of extra money when something gets ruined (i.e. tires).
Not trying to be insulting or p!ss anyone off...just my $0.02

·
Registered
210 Posts
trueblue hit the nail on the head ,,, when i started to mod my stang 1 years ago , I just got the spring and dropped the car , did not ask about anything else , hell I did not learn about c/c until I went to get the car aline and the guy told me about them. And since then I do not do anything to the car that I don't look in to everything I can get my hands on to make sure it done right the first time ,,, also I started to learn from what other people have done..

·
Registered
366 Posts
1) Will the balljoints really improve the steering geometry as advertised by Steeda?
To clarify:

The X2 balljoint helps the roll center geometry, not the steering geometry. The balljoint will help any Mustang lowered more than an inch, by improving the roll center height. This will improve turn-in response and reduce body roll. It will not fix a steering (toe change) geometry problem.

To fix a bumpsteer problem (defined as the toe changing due to suspension travel), you need to alter the relationship between the height of the steering rack and the steering arm on the spindle. Small changes in this relationship can be made with offset rack bushings. To make big changes requires an adjustable tie-rod end, A.K.A. a bump steer kit.

Just to let you know I have c/c plates and it did not fix my problem ,, sometimes c/c plates can fix your issue and then sometime you have to get the bump steer kit ,
Caster camber plates can help alleviate a suspension bottoming problem by raising the upper strut mounting height, giving the suspension more room to compress before it runs out of travel. They can also help the car to track straighter by increasing the caster angle. They will not fix a bumpsteer problem. They are seperate issues.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
techguy said:
To clarify:

The X2 balljoint helps the roll center geometry, not the steering geometry. The balljoint will help any Mustang lowered more than an inch, by improving the roll center height. This will improve turn-in response and reduce body roll. It will not fix a steering (toe change) geometry problem.

To fix a bumpsteer problem (defined as the toe changing due to suspension travel), you need to alter the relationship between the height of the steering rack and the steering arm on the spindle. Small changes in this relationship can be made with offset rack bushings. To make big changes requires an adjustable tie-rod end, A.K.A. a bump steer kit.

When I install the bumpsteer kit and x2 ball joints are the adjustments (tie-rod end) made at installation or when aligned?

If at alignment, What specific talent/ability should I ask the alignment shop? I want to be sure the alignment is correctly done.

·
Registered
366 Posts
At the time of installation the spacers are installed at your "best guess" position, which you determine by trying to make the tie rod as close to parallel with the lower control arm as possible.

Then the final adjustments are made by the alignment shop on an alignment rack, as follows.

A) The car is set on the rack and the toe is set as normal.

B) Then compress the suspension at least 1 inch. This can be done by securing a winch ("come-along", etc.) to the floor and winching down on the K-member, or by having a couple of heavy guys sit on the front bumper. Read the toe with the alignment at machine at the new compressed height and again at normal ride height. Compare the two readings The goal is to have the smallest possible change in toe setting.

C) Rearrange the spacers and repeat step "B" from above. It is basically a process of trial and error until you achieve the smallest possible toe-change. It is important to compress the suspension the same amount each time so that you can compare the toe readings accurately.

It is often impossible to achieve absolutely zero toe-change. It is better to arrange the spacers so that the car toes-in slightly when the suspension is compressed instead of toeing-out.

D) Once the spacers are arranged in their optimum position, rest the to the desired setting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
do you have to have both?

I also have a 1.5" drop with H&R Supersports & Bullits.
I believe I have bumpsteer up the @ss. I need new front tires soon and am getting C/C plates for sure (drivers side is busted). Can't afford to also get a bumpsteer kit, X-2 Balljoints and offset rack bushings.
I already have MM's aluminum rack bushing kit, but haven't installed. Is it worth it to change to offset?
What will make the most improvement? b/s kit or x-2?

Thx

dankstang

·
Registered
158 Posts
do you have to have both?

I also have a 1.5" drop with H&R Supersports & Bullits.
I believe I have bumpsteer up the @ss. I need new front tires soon and am getting C/C plates for sure (drivers side is busted). Can't afford to also get a bumpsteer kit, X-2 Balljoints and offset rack bushings.
I already have MM's aluminum rack bushing kit, but haven't installed. Is it worth it to change to offset?
What will make the most improvement? b/s kit or x-2?

Thx

dankstang

·
Registered
280 Posts
ttt, that is a good question from dankstang. i don't want to get both kits (x-2 and bumpsteer). Would the x2 balljoint kit be enough so my tires don't wear choppy in the front??

By the way, will the x2 really lower my car by another 1/2 inch when they are on??? Where is the cheapest place to get them...steeda?

·
Registered
158 Posts
DEEPstang:

Not sure exactly what your front end is doing to make your tires wear choppy....But, I installed the X-2's with a bumpsteer kit (heim joints). Definitely have to have both because the X-2's raise the a-arm to steering rack (tie rod) dramatically. Either get 'em both, or forget 'em.

I checked my height from floor to fenderwell before and after my whole front end swap and it remained the same. As long as you keep the included spacers that come with it.

Best place to get parts for me is Brad's Custom Auto in Seattle, WA. Those guys are top-notch, matched prices and shipped same day.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts