Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 mustang gt. I’m trying to figure if anyone has had the same problem I have am having right now. The car with turn on and run fine with no problems but the last two days I have drove it to the store and when I get out of the store and go to crank it it won’t start. After waiting 20 or so minutes then it will turn back over. Anyone have the same problem or know what this could be?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have a 98 mustang gt. I’m trying to figure if anyone has had the same problem I have am having right now. The car with turn on and run fine with no problems but the last two days I have drove it to the store and when I get out of the store and go to crank it it won’t start. After waiting 20 or so minutes then it will turn back over. Anyone have the same problem or know what this could be?
youre gonna need to do some diagnosis. Next time it wont start, determine if it has spark and fuel pressure. Do you notice the theft light flashing on the dash while cranking?. I believe the 98 mustang has a port on the fuel rails you can attach a fuel pressure gauge to. Once you know the answer to both of those questions, post back and we can help you diagnose it.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 98 mustang gt. I’m trying to figure if anyone has had the same problem I have am having right now. The car with
youre gonna need to do some diagnosis. Next time it wont start, determine if it has spark and fuel pressure. Do you notice the theft light flashing on the dash while cranking?. I believe the 98 mustang has a port on the fuel rails you can attach a fuel pressure gauge to. Once you know the answer to both of those questions, post back and we can help you diagnose it.
It is getting fuel and the spark plugs are getting spark as well. Battery and alternator are fine. There is no theft light flashing when trying to start it. I notice today while looking at it there is and oil leak somewhere on the back side of the engine I’m guessing since the oil is running down and dripping off the oil pan. Someone mentioned that when the oil is low that there is a sensor that won’t allow the car to crank to keep it from locking up. I’m not quite sure though but I put lil in it the first time because it was low and it started right up so idk if that would be the problem or not.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
fuel, spark, compression, air.

which one isnt working properly?
Compression and air arent going to change with a car sitting for a short time after running. That's why I told him to check for fuel pressure and spark because that is most likely where the problem is. The MAF signal may be an issue but air isn't going to stop getting into the engine.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It is getting fuel and the spark plugs are getting spark as well. Battery and alternator are fine. There is no theft light flashing when trying to start it. I notice today while looking at it there is and oil leak somewhere on the back side of the engine I’m guessing since the oil is running down and dripping off the oil pan. Someone mentioned that when the oil is low that there is a sensor that won’t allow the car to crank to keep it from locking up. I’m not quite sure though but I put lil in it the first time because it was low and it started right up so idk if that would be the problem or not.
The low oil light sensor does not prevent the car from starting. The sensor simply tells the module that controls the light to turn the light on.

Are you checking for spark and fuel pressure when the issue occurs because it obviously has pressure and spark when it runs? IF youre positive it has fuel pressure and spark when the issue is happening, you can get a noid light and plug it into and injector connector to verify if the injectors are firing when the problem occurs. You can get noid lights at any autopart store. You just need to make sure to get one that is compatible with your injector connector. Im pretty sure the 98 still has EV1 injectors so you need a noid light that works with an EV1 connector. When the issue is happening you simply disconnect 1 injector and plug the noid light into the wiring harness connector and it will flash when it gets an injector pulse as you try to start the car.

Another thing you can try is to hold the pedal to the floor when cranking. You may have an issue where its flooding when restarting. Holding it to the floor while cranking turns off the injectors. If it starts while holding it to the floor youre getting too much fuel at restart.

Does the car have a CEL on? Have you pulled codes?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Compression and air arent going to change with a car sitting for a short time after running. That's why I told him to check for fuel pressure and spark because that is most likely where the problem is. The MAF signal may be an issue but air isn't going to stop getting into the engine.
if you look through the past posts, his says spark and fuel aren't the problem. but whatever. I agree with you. spark or fuel

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
if you look through the past posts, his says spark and fuel aren't the problem. but whatever. I agree with you. spark or fuel
Yeah i saw that. I wanted to get those out of the way first then start looking at other possibilities. I try to give bite sized steps instead of flooding OP with tons of tests. Once we have eliminated fuel and spark ill move on to compression and other tests.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yeah i saw that. I wanted to get those out of the way first then start looking at other possibilities. I try to give bite sized steps instead of flooding OP with tons of tests. Once we have eliminated fuel and spark ill move on to compression and other tests.
where's Indy when you need him?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
where's Indy when you need him?
I dont know man.. While he had a wealth of knowledge, I havent seen one serious argument in a troubleshooting thread since he was banned. It was a weekly occurrence before and like 50% of newbie threads looking for assistance went down that road. There are plenty of us on here that can provide troubleshooting assistance without recommending the parts canon. The board is better off without his attitude but a lot of knowledge was lost with him getting banned. He is on other forums so one can find him if they really want to.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I dont know man.. While he had a wealth of knowledge, I havent seen one serious argument in a troubleshooting thread since he was banned. It was a weekly occurrence before and like 50% of newbie threads looking for assistance went down that road. There are plenty of us on here that can provide troubleshooting assistance without recommending the parts canon. The board is better off without his attitude but a lot of knowledge was lost with him getting banned. He is on other forums so one can find him if they really want to.
that was sarcasm btw. good riddance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The only gripe I had with him was when I asked a technical question that isn’t common knowledge and he kept giving me the runaround. He clearly knew the answer but wanted me to guess. I can understand doing that with something like how to test a fuel pump since it’s well documented. But we’re here to help each other out, that’s what this community is here for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
The only gripe I had with him was when I asked a technical question that isn’t common knowledge and he kept giving me the runaround. He clearly knew the answer but wanted me to guess. I can understand doing that with something like how to test a fuel pump since it’s well documented. But we’re here to help each other out, that’s what this community is here for.
No, he wanted to teach YOU how to do it, not GIVE you the answer..... Too many "Participation Trophy" millenials in America

·
Registered
193 Posts
No, he wanted to teach YOU how to do it, not GIVE you the answer..... Too many "Participation Trophy" millenials in America
And that’s great but like I said when it’s something that isn’t common knowledge then he should have helped. People shouldn’t have to play the guessing game with something they know nothing about. I agree on things like how do you change spark plugs, yeah teach yourself.

I’m not a noob when it comes to working on cars. I know what I’m doing and I know how to use google to find things but there are certain things that even google doesn’t have the answer to.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That just reinforces my point. There are things that are not on google and there is a lot of false information out there as well.

What if I was trying to diagnose something on my car and the one person who knows the answer wants you to guess something that you don’t know? That’s the way I see it. It’s not about being spoon fed. If someone asks how to change oil yeah sure tell them to google it.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
That just reinforces my point. There are things that are not on google and there is a lot of false information out there as well.

What if I was trying to diagnose something on my car and the one person who knows the answer wants you to guess something that you don’t know? That’s the way I see it. It’s not about being spoon fed. If someone asks how to change oil yeah sure tell them to google it.

You're missing it.
He was trying to teach you how to fish.
You just want to be given a fish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts