Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this car is driving me nuts.

What was first thought as a weak battey or a bad starter has turned out to be a more complicated electrical problem. What I have found is that the signal wire is getting no power to trip the staeter solenoid.

I have tested the relay, and it works fine. Now, I don't know if it's a problem with the PATS system, the clutch pedal pin-switch, the ignition switch or the wiring itself.

Any ideas on where to look next?

Thanks.

-->Greg

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My guess is a loose ground wire... 98 Cobras are notorious for this...

Behind the power steering pump is a red wire thats connected from the engine to the frame... Just make sure its connected tight on both ends...

Make sure you unplug the battery so you don't get electrocuted while checking the wire... There is also another ground near the battery, but my guess is its the one near the power steering pump...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the starter bolted in the car, I tested for voltage between the aluminum case and the B+ power cable and it was 12.5v. So, I figure that the grounding of the engine is fine.

I had a buddy hop in the car and push in the clutch and turn the key to 'start' while I checked for voltage @ the signal wire, but there wasn't any.

I tested the starter relay located in the panel next to the strut tower. I removed it and tested it with a jump-box and a bunch of jumper wires with aligator-clips. It worked fine. I could hear it click and I also tested for voltage on the output terminal and it was fine.

So, I am unsure if the problem is before the relay or after. This problem happened all of the sudden when I tried to leave Best Buy on Wednesday. I came out and the car wouldn't start. It push-starts ok, but, that's too much work and I tend to lose "cool-points" each time I do that. Plus, the ol' lady is getting tired of push-starting the 3700 lb. pig. :evil: Just kidding.

I'll check the clutch start switch tomorrow.

Anything else?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I concur with the loose ground. Just because you saw 12 volts doesn't mean that the starter can draw enough amps to crank. Remember, it takes a LOT of power to turn the engine.

When new, I had similar problem. Every 7 or 8th start would NOT engage, just click like it hit a dead spot on the flywheel. I could "bump" the engine and it would start (push car, engage clutch clutch and pop it out, not rolling enough to crank, but just enough to bump the flywheel, then it would crank with the key). Since it was new, I called roadside ass. and they towed it to the dealer(many times). One time, I tried to demo to service the problem, but it cranked just fine up on the truck. In retrospect, one of the ground straps was loose from factory (there are several between engine and body), and the vibration on the tow truck made the connection work. Finally, the dealer replaced the starter to get me off his back, it has not done it again (over 50K on odometer now).
Check both sides of each ground strap you find underneath, maybe clean the connections. Also check all connections at the starter (with battery disconnected). If all else fails, always park on a hill facing down. :mad:
Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
clean your battery terminals....keep it simple :)

is your starter relay(solenoid?) clicking?

·
Registered
1 Posts
--Yikes, I'm having a similar problem with my '98. I turn the key, the engine cranks and even seems to fire but everything stops right there. A quick jump did not get it started.

Gregg-- Could I get more details on how you checked your relay? (you used a jumpbox? )

Suggestions are welcome!

email= [email protected]
--------
'98 Cobra Black

1 - 7 of 7 Posts