Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just completed an EFI to carb conversion. Motor is in, fuel is done, everything is set up. The time has come for me to finally try to fire it up........

I mounted up the solenoid, 6AL, battery lines, starter, etc. I put the key in the igniton, everything came on as it should. I attempted to crank it over, and the starter came on and sounded perfect. I let it crank for a few seconds and then the starter was still going. I turned the ignition off and pulled the key out. The starter was still trying to turn the car over. I quickly ran back and threw the battery disconnect switch. It finally stopped. I waited for a few minutes and turned the battery kill switch back into the on position and immedeatly the starter came back on. At first, I thought I might have had a line crossed or something, but everything checked out ok. In talking with a few people, it sounded like I had a starter solenoid that was sticking open, even though it was brand new. I just picked up another brand new one (using one from a 93 F150 due to longer studs) and installed it. I turned the kill switch back into the on position, and everything was cool. I got back in and turned on the iginition and went to start it. I let it crank for a few tries, then turned it off. It shut down properly. I then went and primed the carb a bit, getting some fuel in it and tried again. It tried to start as it should. I turned the iginiton off. I tried this again a few times and after the 3rd or 4th try, it started sticking open again.

I know it can't be a run of bad solenoids, and I am out of ideas. Has anyone seen this problem before? It's on a carbed 306. The starter has no more than 50 cranks on it and is a motorcraft that I bought brand new, so I highly doubt it's the starter.

·
Registered
519 Posts
When its stuck on, hit your battery disconect. Then start probing around with a OHM meter. Then you can tell where the issue is. If hooked up right, its pretty streight forward, the solenoid is just a relay. I had one stick on me, scarriest ***** I've had happen with the car not moving :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts