Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to start my car this afternoon and the car starts fine but, I hear this terrible noise under the hood so, I shut off the ignition. No luck the starter is still turning. So after a few minutes of looking I unplugged the wire off of the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid and the starter shut down. I think I might have done it too late since the starter was smoking pretty bad. I am assuming it is either the ignition switch, starter solenoid, or starter. What can I do to test the ignition switch and solenoid to avoid throwing parts at the car and having it still not work right. Thanx!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Get a test light or a multimeter that reads volts. Disconnect the starter, which you have done. Check for 12 volts where you disconnected the starter wire. If only 12v when the key is turned, then it is you starter. I'm guessing it will be the starter. Could try tapping the starter to see if you can disengauge it. If it is, remove it and get it checked at the local parts store, autozone, pepboys, Orielies, all do it for free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts