Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is giving me trouble. it will start fine when the motor is cold. when i drive it for a while and turn it off then try to start it again. it acts like the battery is dead then starts. i have a new solenoid but have not put it on yet. what do you guys think? thanks in advance. brandon

·
Registered
713 Posts
starters do this when they get to hot, id put the new solenoid on
regardless since you have it. if the battery is good, good connections, and the car is running at a good temp. id replace the starter theres not alot that else to do. ive never had a problem
with starting a mustang in stock form, now with the battery in the hatch that creates this problem also. my 2 cents

·
Registered
29 Posts
Replace all the battery cables too, pos and neg.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'd say its the starter to, based on the symptoms. Before you change it out though, simply jump the solenoid next time it won't start, and see if that changes anything. If it still won't start, you know it is the starter.

I'd also change the solenoid at the same time, if you've already got one laying around. They are cheap, and it will break on you eventually.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just had that same problem a couple weeks ago. After replacing all the cables everywhere, a new solenoid, new battery, checking all the connections, and checking all the grounds, it turned out to be the starter.

I had double trouble since the new AutoZone starter I bought before I did all the above, was bad. AutoZone sucks. :mad

But yeah, its your starter.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If your going to replace the starter I would go ahead and switch to the 94/95 style starter. Much lighter and smaller.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yea, I had the same problem after I put on my longtubes. The starter was getting hot. I bought a 94/95 starter and got some of that heat wrap for it. Wrapped it up real good and have not had a problem since then. The 94/95 is smaller too so it helps keep it off the header.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the info. i will put the new solenoid on soon. i am missing one of the sockets i need. i was planning on getting a smaller starter. i asked about a starter before and was told to get a 92+ hi torque mini starter. which one do you suggest? thanks in advance brandon.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mini is better, but it costs more. They wont give you a "core" for your old one.

I was get a mini, until I saw that the same one was only $40.

If you got the money, get the mini, if you want to get it running, just get the direct replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts