Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone supply me with a good picture of all the wires that terminate at the starter solenoid of a 87-93 stang? I'm not sure what goes to the positive and negative sides. The car has been apart for a few years and I just dont remember.

Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
There is NO negative side! I have made that mistake once before and it was not pretty.

Battery side- everything but the starter cable, unless you have a mini starter like some of the later fox bodies have. To find out hold up the starter cable and see if it has two wires coming off of it. If it does, then the small diameter wire goes to one side by itself on the starter solenoid and the bigger cable goes with all of the rest on the power side of the solenoid.

If there is just one starter cable then you have an older style starter. In this case, everything except the starter cable goes on the power side of the solenoid. The starter cable goes on the other by itself. Nothing else goes on the starter side of the solenoid. Do not connect any grounds to this post. It is not a ground. Many people think it is like a battery with a "+" and "-" side. Not the case at all.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bad89Stang...

What about the second ground cable? Is'nt there a second cable on the starter that connects to the same single post as the starter cable? Does this cable just connect to the motor or frame?

I currently have th negative post of my battery connected to a bolt on the engine block and the shock tower.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Batt cable that runs down to the starter is not a second ground it is the hot lead for the starter. The starter is grounded through the block. this is the lead that goes buy its self on one side of the sol. the batterie goes on the other with all the other power leads.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
why is there a need to tell everybody your subscribing? Im just curious

Bad89 and 50 chero are exactly right. Its really not difficult to hook everything up. I just dont see why people get so baffled about this.

Everything on the side closest to the fire wall
If you have a mini starter, then you only have the switched power wire, abour 12 guage or so all by itslef on the one post.
If you have regular starter, then teh 4 guage-ish black wire(positive) goes by itself and runs down to the starter

·
Registered
113 Posts
What else should I type? Should I misspell every other word in a long post that asks why people ask questions in the tech section? I figure I'd leave that for you Timmy.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It was a question, thats all. Just curious why you dont just hit the subcribe thing at the bottom and leave it at that

and i only mis-spelled 3 words:D

it was just a question, thast all. no need to get all bent out of shape over nothing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts