Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago I removed my T5 from my car and installed a new one. At the same time, I pulled the bellhousing and clutch so I could put a new pilot bearing in. Everything went back together like normal. When I cranked the car over it made a horrible grinding sound and you could tell the starter wasnt working correctly. I had to have the car to get to work so I drove around like that for a couple days. Then, I had the car down for a few days as I was doing an intake swap and when I went to restart it yesterday, the starter made the same noise and then it started clunking also. After a few tries of starting the car, the starter wouldnt even turn the flywheel, all I could hear was the starter motor spinning but the flywheel didnt crank. I figured the starter completely bit the dust so I pulled it out. The teeth were just barely worn on the very outside of them. I got a new starter this morning and it makes the same exact sound and even the clunks, and after a few tries it wont crank the car anymore. I pulled it out, and the teeth on it looked just slightly sheared like the old starter. Needless to say, I'm very frusterated and need to get this fixed. This is my only car and I'm off for 2 days so does anyone have any ideas what I should do? How come before I pulled the tranny/clutch offeverything worked fine? It seems that the gear on the starter is not close enough to engage the flywheel, like the gears are not meshing correctly. How do I adjust this? Is there anything that I could of put back together wrong? The only thing I can think is that the bell housing is too far over but how could that be? Any help would be desperately appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
It may have ground the teeth off the flywheel. I would look at those, and try to get the starter right this time. It would have saved you all this trouble, had you taken the time to get it right to begin with. Never rush yourself, or keep using something you know is not right. Will just cost you more time, and money.

Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sounds like worn teeth or maybe the starter is just loose. Check to make sure you tightened the bolts correctly.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I completely pulled the tranny/bellhousing this morning to see if something was messed up there and everything seemed to be well. I put it all back together and used the new starter and it still does the same thing. I have tightened both starter bolts correctly and it still does it. The starter will turn the flywheel over a few times with a horrible grinding sound and then when I try to start it again, the starter just spins and doesnt turn the flywheel. Does anyone have any other ideas on this? I'm totally stumped and I really need to get this car done. I have it all torn apart right now so if anyone has any suggestions, send them my way? Is it possible I could of got a starter from the parts store that has a gear that has less teeth on it? I know that is a long shot, but does Ford have the same starter with like one more tooth on it? Thanks for any ideas.

·
Formerly known as 302Quest
2,809 Posts
it's possible that the parts store gave you the wrong one.
possibly a wiring issue, low voltage to the starter..
low battery..
~J

·
Registered
337 Posts
Is the flywheel bolted securely to the engine? Is it missing any teeth?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went to the parts store and got another starter just to see if it was a problem, and when I put the new one on, the thing works and there is no grinding. I guess I just had a ****ty rebuilt one the first time. The only problem now is that it will turn the motor over fine but every once in a wile, it starts to struggle like it is going to stop and then it gets going again. It seems like it is at one spot in the spin of the flywheel everytime. Could this be because my motor has a different compression ratio because of the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads I just put on and the stock starter just doesnt have the power needed to crank it? Thanks for all the help, it has been great!

·
2,809 Posts
it's possible that the starter isn't powerfull enough, but i'd look at the CCA (Cold Cranking Amp's) of your battery as well..
find out what your compression is..
~J

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
get a high torque mini starter and save yourself the headaches...exchange the pos autzone rebuilt one

·
2,809 Posts
i'm getting ready to beat Vatozone over the head tomorrow, your thread cursed me, my trucks starter **** the bed.. it's quite dead..
glad your new one works..
~J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts