Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 89 lx 5.0 cold start up it pretty much starts up fine, but once the eng has warmed up and i try to restart it almost seems like there is all fuel and no spark, i have a msd 6al,as for fuel i have 36lb inj with the correct c&l sample tube. the cam is a blower grind (i do not have the specs here) i also get a idle surge but it doesn't happen all the time, thanks for any help

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Have you pulled any codes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have no codes

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Can you give a full list of your mods?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i will start at the top and work down, gt40 intake upper and lower ported by rap, 73mmc&l mas air and 36lb sample tube, 70mm bbk throtle body and egr spacer,lucas 36lb injectors, edlebrock performer rpm heads all port work done by heads up perf, cam hydrolic roller that is matched up with the heads (i do not have the specs on the cam or flow on the heads, i just moved and have not found the paperwork yet) i also do have a procharger 17lb boost but i have the belt off.. alos a vortec fmu 4-1 fuel delivery i have a t-rex pump and a 110liter in tank pump, since this start problem i pulled the power off the t-rex , i was thinking it was pumping too much fuel on start up. my theory at this time is that there is a problem with my ign switch, i think it is not providing spark when the key is turned to try starting the car, ( i have not yet been able to test this) the other poss problem could be that the injectors are not closing and when the car is warm they keep on puoring gas into the cyl.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh i forgot to mension i also do have msd 6al, the rest of the ign is stock

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
I doubt it is an injector failure. It's prob. more a case of your combo getting fairly radical. I also doubt the ignition switch is the issue, otherwise it would show the same problem at startup.

It could be solved by something as simple as clocking your C&L mass air. Have you tried that?

1. What rpm do you idle at?
2. Any severe bends directly in front of your mass air?
3. What is your timing set at?
4. Any type of timing retard?
5. What are your plugs gapped at?
6. Have you pulled plugs and looked for evidence of fouling?
7. Try pulling a plug immediately after it fails to start and look for excess fuel.

Just of the heck of it, disconnect your battery for 20+ minutes and then reconnect. Then see how it starts.

PS, add your mods to your sig so I don't have to keep scrolling up the page to look at them - I'm lazy that way... :D :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all rite, what is clocking the mas air? i don't think i have heard of that b4 as for the other items
the idel is around 750-900
the tube does have a bend in it around 4" b4 the mas air
timing is now at 10 degrees
i have no type of timing retard
plugs are gapped at .45 (could be a problem with the boost)
i did pull one plug when the eng was not firing but saw no evidence of fouling (plugs are brand new) plug appeared dry and only slightly gray

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
OK, try clocking the mass air first. Here's how:

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Loosen the clamps on both ends of the mass air.
3. Rotate the mass air so that the electronics are in a different postion than they are now. For example, if they are at the top of the mass air (12:00), then try rotating to 2:00.
4. Tighten clamps.
5. Before reconnecting battery, be sure it has been disconnected for at least 20 min.

I would experiment with the mass air in many different positions, hopefully you will find one that will fix the problem. And, get ready to do it all again when you put the belt back on the supercharger, as it can change things in a hurry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will give that a shot thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts