Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddies moon/sun roof (the one that flips up)...
has a leak in it... its a 93 GT
we already removed the glass and brew air throught the vent holes... one was badly clogged....
his back seat floor was always gettting wet the morning after driving in the rain the day before... sometimes a good 1-2" if he had it sitting in the rain....
we never saw any visible signs of leakage while driving...

a body shop mentioned that there is a bit of a gap on one side of the sun/moon roof to the metal (enough to stick a few matches in there...maybe 1 or 2)... a body shop mentioned that that gap should not be more than a dollars width gap...
how much do u guys think it would cost to have it removed and properly reinstalled/fixed...
any ideas...!?

he has it storage for the winter, but needless to say its a BIG headache...!
has anyone ever had this problem...

he doesn't feel right selling it in that condition... and if he discloses it, he'll get alot less cash for it... we're assuming...!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The glass seal around the edge is not tight. It really is not going to keep it totally out. The water is just going to go into the well and out the drain holes.

How do you know it is coming from the sun roof? Check the drain tubes. There is a plastic tube that attaches to a short nipple (the other sid of the drain hole) and snakes down the body to the frame.

I just found I had a leak problem from somewhere. I never found it. Apparently water was getting on the passenger side rear floor. I never noticed the carpet getting wet or musty. I found it when I was under the car and saw carpet padding. "that's not good" Who nows how ling it had been getting wet. Pulling up the carpet I found that the whole floor was rust and gone. The carpet padding is a sponge and held the moisture. My car has also been garaged the past 12 years. I have no idea hod it go so bad.

Anyway I also suspected the sunroof and had the whole interior out. The drain tube on that side was tight and there is not mush of a way it was going to get to the floor. The chassis guy that fixed the floor suspected the door seal at the to. I can't say for sure.

If there is really 1-2", there is a major problem. I'd pull the interior and hit the outside with a hose. If the padding is that wet rust and mold are soon to follow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i hear ya on the rust... how much did it cost to fix it...!?
thats what he's worried about too though...
the original owner also had it in storage for years... u think he would have taken it back to ford as soon as he noticed it...
the car was slightly musty when he first bought it, but we didn't think too much of it... considering people mentioned that it was a common storage problem.... (the smell that is)

yeah there was some gunk in one of the holes, but it blew out with air pressure...
there was about 1-2" back there at one time (it was a bad rain storm)... but we wet vacced the hell outta it before putting it away for the winter....
the body shop also mentioned the door seal... its slightly ripped, but the car only has 25k on it...
personally, i feel bad for anyone that has to go through this kinda problem.... it seems almost impossible to locate the actual origin of the leak...

but when the weather gets alil warmer, i think i'll help him gutt the interior... he already started, but never finished...

we already tried the hose thing, but with everything intact... no signs of trickling water anywhere... not positive how it gets in, but in a few hours time of being out of the rain there is dampness behind the drivers side floor...

do u think its the door...!?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I was only a couple hunderd bucks. There is a metal fab guy in my area. He does a lot of race car chassis and construction. It was no big deal to cut out the floof and weld in a new piece.

I left the padding out and feel the floor when it rains. I also replaced the passenger door seal and bent the frame in a little so it makes better contact. I'm the original owner and have no idea when it started. I really don't know if it was the door but ther are not many places it can get in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spoke to him last night....
i think he's gonna try the door seal first.. either way the rip should be fixed, then he said he i'll keep an eye out for it... if it still leaks i told him to be ready to pay for the sunroof...
i hope for his sake that the door seal fixes the problem....!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts