Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed comp 262 stage one cams last week and ever since then my car has been throwing 2 codes. It throws p0300 (random/multiple misfire) and p0316 (misfire on startup (first 1000 revolutions)). Now with this being said, the car never misses. Because of that im thinking it may be a connection somewhere or a bad sensor. If somone can lead me in the right direction that would be great!! Clearing these codes are starting to be a PITA.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
So I just installed comp 262 stage one cams last week and ever since then my car has been throwing 2 codes. It throws p0300 (random/multiple misfire) and p0316 (misfire on startup (first 1000 revolutions)). Now with this being said, the car never misses. Because of that im thinking it may be a connection somewhere or a bad sensor. If somone can lead me in the right direction that would be great!! Clearing these codes are starting to be a PITA.
Has it been tuned ?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You need a tune!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No tune yet! It is still running on factory tune. I wasnt sure if getting a tune would fix this problem or not. The car does run great even though the code is being thrown.

·
Registered
101 Posts
WOW, nobody told you need a retune when you upgrade cams? Did you do any research? (Not trying to sound like a douch, just wondering)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
the factory program isnt going to automatically compensate for changes in valve lift, duration, and lobe seperation angles. you desperately need a custom tune (not mail order)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes, he knows he needs a tune. So hopefully you will get it soon and make sure you tell Nathan to get one as well. Enjoy those cams.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i knew that i would need a tune!! Im going to get a dyno tune here soon. I just wasnt sure if it was normal to throw those codes. Thanks for all the help guys. Ill let you all know what it makes after the tune!! 255hp and 270tq before! and Eric i definitely will!

·
Registered
628 Posts
i just had stage 2 P&P PI heads installed and comp cams 262 and no check engine light or codes. I am getting tuned as soon as i get clutch replaced also.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
w3bb3r04:

Not looking to get roasted but the engine should not be throwing codes. A tune is needed to get things in tip-top shape for performance but I would check the hardware first. Check your crank pulley. Misfire codes can be caused by a wobbling crank pulley. Check that the pulley was properly torqued (no slight intended to your wrenching skills). Also, the misfire may be pinpointed on the +99's. Maybe a coil-on-plug (COP) is faulty or not fully seated on the plug. Is the battery pretty fresh? A weak battery can cause some havoc.

HTH,

Chris

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
w3bb3r04:

Not looking to get roasted but the engine should not be throwing codes. A tune is needed to get things in tip-top shape for performance but I would check the hardware first. Check your crank pulley. Misfire codes can be caused by a wobbling crank pulley. Check that the pulley was properly torqued (no slight intended to your wrenching skills). Also, the misfire may be pinpointed on the +99's. Maybe a coil-on-plug (COP) is faulty or not fully seated on the plug. Is the battery pretty fresh? A weak battery can cause some havoc.

HTH,

Chris
yes I didnt think of that but if the Harmonic balancer pulley is not tight the crank trigger wheel will wobble and cause misfires

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the battery is fresh and ive checked the COP but i may need to undo the crank pulley and redo with the tightening sequence. The car does die when car is idling and the electric fan kicks on but That may be because the idle is still set low. Maybe an alternator issue? im not sure. Let me know what you all think

·
Registered
320 Posts
Make sure you get a new bolt or a ARP one for the crank. It is a one time use bolt that is torque to yield. If your reusing the stock one with retightening it, it is the cause of the codes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! thats what i needed to hear. I will order a new crank bolt and install it! Ill let you guys know if that fixes it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced crank bolt with new factory bolt. Torqued to spec. Still throwing code. Anybody have more ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could the dealership disable the misfire monitor until 1000 revs or should i go to a tuner to do that?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Mine threw same code after cams were installed went away after willy (93grnlx) tuned it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Have them adjust misfire threshold in the tune.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts