Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to race a Z28...Off the line I smoked him...then as soon as my foot was all the way to the floor and the R's started to climb...the car started to spurt and sputter...loosing power as the R's climed...how embarasing (like my spelling) ...

This is nearly a bone stock 89 5.0...has a mass air and fenderwell BBk pipe.

What to check 1st? What will fix this?

seems to work fine when normal cruising though!:confused:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...I pulled over and checked the wires etc...turned the car off and re tried...did it again! I need to replace that anyway...I will check that...but keep the suggestions coming!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just replaced my distributer and TFI module because of the same thing. Went through the whole scenario of trying to track it down before I got to it. Evidently, too, Ford had a recall on the TFI module for my car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here you go...

p. 213 of the Probst's book "How to Understand, Service, and Modify Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control", Table 8 and 9, under the diagnostic routines:

Table 8. Stalls/Quits on Accelleration or Cruise, Bucks/Jerks, Hesitates/Stumbles, Surges

Start with #1 and work your way down the list.

1. Engine Control...Quick Test (pull the codes)
2. Ignition...Spark plug, coil, secondary wires, distributer cap & rotor, crossed wires, ignition timing
3. Fuel/Throttle Body...Idle air flow (IAB), fuel filter, fuel pump, water/dirt/rust contamination in fuel, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, sender filter, injectors
4. Vacuum Distribution...Vacuum leaks
5. Air Intake Systems...Air cleaner
6. EGR...Valve
7. PCV...Valve
8. Exhaust...Restrictions (clogged EGR return tubes or catalytic converter)

Table 9. Runs Rough on Accelleration or Cruise, Misses

Again, start with #1 and work your way down the list.

1. Ignition (same as above)
2. Engine Control (same as above)
3. Fuel/Throttle body (same as above)
4. EGR (same as above)
5. Vacuum Distribution (same as above)
6. Base Engine...components (hope you found your problem before you get down here...$$$$)

Well, there you go. As you can see, it could be most anything. Happy hunting! These little gremlins can be hard to track down...so be patient. It is very frustrating. If you don't have a code analyzer, you can pick one up at Sears and most auto parts stores...they're like $30-40 and pretty easy to use if you just follow the directions.

Perhaps something to consider...the ignition timing advances with increasing RPM...if it doesn't or there is wandering timing from bad distributer bearings, it can potentially create the same types of symptoms you are describing...look at the distributer. If the miss is there all the time...look into the TFI module...the ignition pickup (PIP) may be going out. That being said, rule out the easy and inexpensive things first.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
autoXr1 and I have the same book, it helps immensly with troubleshooting down problems in Mustang's. If you have the extra cash (I think $30.00) then it's well worth the investment. Especially if your tired of having someone else work on your car (mechanic) and the prices they charge to try to fix it right the first time.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.